Releasing bottom fish - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Post new topic   Reply to topic
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Kato
Posts: 140
Location: Onslow County, NC
Reply with quote
Mon May 08, 2017 12:10 pm
How much weight do you typically use with the SeaQualizer?  
View user's profile Send private message

ChrisMcCaffity
Posts: 1538
Reply with quote
Mon May 08, 2017 12:33 pm
Kato wrote:
How much weight do you typically use with the SeaQualizer?


It depends on the fish and how bloated they are. It seems to average about 1 pound of lead per 7 pounds of fish. We have a SeaQualizer rigged with a 2 pound lead and add more if needed. Having one ready to snap on makes it easier to use more often and gets the fish home faster. Please think about letting the SAFMC know if you use a descending device. No need to keep it secret, especially if it can help us keep some Red Snapper.
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Kato
Posts: 140
Location: Onslow County, NC
Reply with quote
Mon May 08, 2017 1:22 pm
This looks like a viable alternative to the SeaQualizer. I tend to lean toward the KISS principal. wtg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB6oNolIq8g
https://sites.google.com/site/descendingdevice/safe_release_weight/product-information
  

Last edited by Kato on Mon May 08, 2017 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message

ChrisMcCaffity
Posts: 1538
Reply with quote
Mon May 08, 2017 1:52 pm
Kato wrote:
This looks like a viable alternative to the SeaQualizer. I tend to lean toward the KISS principal. wtg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB6oNolIq8g


Haven't seen those around here. A barbless hook through the lip skin works too. Just send it to the bottom and give it some slack so the fish shakes the hook out. You can give a quick jerk to tear the skin it doesn't shake the hook. The fish is better off with a hairlip than floating off. The Pacific Fishery Management Council reduced discard mortality rates and increased quotas for some fish based on voluntary use of descending devices. The SAFMC could do the same if enough of us asked them to.
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

mckneip
Posts: 40
Reply with quote
Mon May 08, 2017 1:59 pm
paynefish wrote:
It shows it after you hit submit, or at least it did on mine. Try it again, if you end up with 2 give one to someone else


Did you use the first link in this post or the second one? I have been trying the first link. Maybe its my computer here at work.
  
View user's profile Send private message

paynefish
Posts: 540
Location: Beaufort
Reply with quote
Mon May 08, 2017 2:35 pm
mckneip wrote:
paynefish wrote:
It shows it after you hit submit, or at least it did on mine. Try it again, if you end up with 2 give one to someone else


Did you use the first link in this post or the second one? I have been trying the first link. Maybe its my computer here at work.

_________________
Seafox 246 Commander

The Happy Place
  
View user's profile Send private message

paynefish
Posts: 540
Location: Beaufort
Reply with quote
Mon May 08, 2017 2:36 pm
paynefish wrote:
mckneip wrote:
paynefish wrote:
It shows it after you hit submit, or at least it did on mine. Try it again, if you end up with 2 give one to someone else


Did you use the first link in this post or the second one? I have been trying the first link. Maybe its my computer here at work.


1st one
_________________
Seafox 246 Commander

The Happy Place
  
View user's profile Send private message

mckneip
Posts: 40
Reply with quote
Mon May 08, 2017 3:44 pm
Thanks, Must have been my work computer not letting me submit it. Be here in 8-12 days  
View user's profile Send private message

ChrisMcCaffity
Posts: 1538
Reply with quote
Wed May 17, 2017 6:07 am
We successfully released about a 100 pound Goliath Grouper using a Seaqualizer and over 10 pounds of weight. It was a beautiful fish that would have died if we let it float off. Please consider sharing your stories about releasing bloated fish with descending devices to educate and encourage others. It would be great to see some reports from charter captains.  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

dusky
Posts: 149
Reply with quote
Wed May 17, 2017 8:34 am
Thanks for posting the link. Have mine on the way also.  
View user's profile Send private message

Toad
Posts: 720
Location: Raleigh/Atlantic Beach
Reply with quote
Wed May 17, 2017 6:50 pm
[quote="stackchaser"]
AboutTime2Fish wrote:
Don't know if this will still work, but I got one for free here....

https://www.takemefishing.org/how-to-fish/how-to-catch-fish/seaqualizer/seaqualizer-signup/


Tried twice with no luck a few months back. Think the free time is over.[/q
uote]

Same here, tried this a few times and have not received any yet. I think it's over. I will buy one.
_________________
Sailfish 2660 w/twin Yamaha 150 4 strokes.
\"Dirty D\"

Key West 2300CC Bluewater
SOLD.
Raleigh/Atlantic Beach NC.
\"Dirty D\"
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

ChrisMcCaffity
Posts: 1538
Reply with quote
Tue May 23, 2017 5:45 am
Has anyone else used their SeaQualizer? We released several Red Snapper last trip that could swim without help and one that would have floated off and died without it.

Our goal should be to make regulatory discards rare while taking practical steps to make sure released fish survive.
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

chumbucket
Posts: 2141
Location: Hampstead
Reply with quote
Tue May 23, 2017 7:06 am
ChrisMcCaffity wrote:
Kato wrote:
How much weight do you typically use with the SeaQualizer?


It depends on the fish and how bloated they are. It seems to average about 1 pound of lead per 7 pounds of fish. We have a SeaQualizer rigged with a 2 pound lead and add more if needed. Having one ready to snap on makes it easier to use more often and gets the fish home faster. Please think about letting the SAFMC know if you use a descending device. No need to keep it secret, especially if it can help us keep some Red Snapper.


You can get away with less weight most of the time. I'm usually using a 12 or 16 ounce bank sinker when fishing. I just hook the seaqualizer and fish to my line and drop it down. Works fine unless really big/bloated fish (like a big AJ). No need to keep a separate rod with heavier weight around for short grouper, average 10-15# ARS, etc.
_________________
Capt. Chum
USCG OUPV
Shenanigans Sportfishing
Onslow Bay 27

https://www.facebook.com/chum.bucket.90857
  
View user's profile Send private message

knot-a-option
Posts: 111
Location: Rich Inlet
Reply with quote
Tue May 23, 2017 7:21 am
[quote="Toad"]
stackchaser wrote:
AboutTime2Fish wrote:
Don't know if this will still work, but I got one for free here....

https://www.takemefishing.org/how-to-fish/how-to-catch-fish/seaqualizer/seaqualizer-signup/


Tried twice with no luck a few months back. Think the free time is over.[/q
uote]

Same here, tried this a few times and have not received any yet. I think it's over. I will buy one.
  
View user's profile Send private message

knot-a-option
Posts: 111
Location: Rich Inlet
Reply with quote
Tue May 23, 2017 7:25 am
I ordered and received one from the above link. Once you see it (don't have pic with me), you'll see that you could easily make one from a coat hanger. The one i received was made from stainless wire, but other material would work in a pinch.  
View user's profile Send private message

LookinToHookem
Posts: 708
Location: Elm City
Reply with quote
Tue May 23, 2017 8:33 am
Did anybody that ordered theirs 3 or 4 weeks ago actually get them? The 14 days has come and gone. Wonder if they just forgot to take the link down? shrug
_________________
LookinToHookem
Albemarle 247 Express

www.militaryappreciationday.net
  
View user's profile Send private message

BarryTurano
Posts: 2973
Location: Wilmington NC
Reply with quote
Tue May 23, 2017 9:15 am
Got mine from OCEAN (Oregon Coalition for Educating ANglers) it's the simple type no real moving parts or springs.
_________________
La Dolce Vita (The Sweet Life)
Sailfish 2660

USN Submarine Veteran
Knight of Neptune
USS Corporal SS346
Death From Below

There are only 2 types of ships.
Submarines and Targets

Coastal Carolina Submarine Veterans

Cape Fear Anglers
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

ChrisMcCaffity
Posts: 1538
Reply with quote
Tue May 23, 2017 9:52 am
BarryTurano wrote:
Got mine from OCEAN (Oregon Coalition for Educating ANglers) it's the simple type no real moving parts or springs.


Is that the modified Fish Grip? The success with that or a similar program and voluntary use of descending devices resulted in a reduction of discard mortality allocations and an increase in harvestable rockfish quotas.
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Toad
Posts: 720
Location: Raleigh/Atlantic Beach
Reply with quote
Tue May 23, 2017 10:37 am
Got mine from Ocean also last week. Pretty simple but effective. You can make one yourself out of a hook. Just file the barb off and invert the hook so it points down. Tie it off to your line and add a weight. You'll need a separate rod and reel for this. Bottom lip hook the fish and drop him down, quick jerk up on the line and the hook comes out and fish is released.
_________________
Sailfish 2660 w/twin Yamaha 150 4 strokes.
\"Dirty D\"

Key West 2300CC Bluewater
SOLD.
Raleigh/Atlantic Beach NC.
\"Dirty D\"
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Mppheel
Posts: 1013
Location: Greenville - Morehead - Topsail Beach
Reply with quote
Tue May 23, 2017 11:07 am
I haven't received mine yet either
_________________
Born to Fish.....Forced to Work

2008 Sea Hunt Triton 240
2000 Robalo 2120
  
View user's profile Send private message

steve76
Posts: 269
Location: North Carolina
Reply with quote
Wed May 24, 2017 5:12 pm
Ordered mine on May 6 and still haven't received mine either.  
View user's profile Send private message

mckneip
Posts: 40
Reply with quote
Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:27 am
Has anybody received their orders yet from the first link? I did mine back in the first of may and it said 8-12 days and I still haven't seen anything. Just asking..  
View user's profile Send private message

LookinToHookem
Posts: 708
Location: Elm City
Reply with quote
Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:51 am
Me either, think they forgot to take their link down when the offer expired.
_________________
LookinToHookem
Albemarle 247 Express

www.militaryappreciationday.net
  
View user's profile Send private message

paynefish
Posts: 540
Location: Beaufort
Reply with quote
Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:51 am
not a thing!!
_________________
Seafox 246 Commander

The Happy Place
  
View user's profile Send private message

Wes
Posts: 983
Location: Holden Beach / Hamlet. NC
Reply with quote
Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:44 pm
Me neither
_________________
Parker 2510 DVWA
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

MarkA
Posts: 85
Location: Youngsville
Reply with quote
Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:52 pm
BarryTurano wrote:
Got mine from OCEAN (Oregon Coalition for Educating ANglers) it's the simple type no real moving parts or springs.


This is the one I got. I submitted for both, and this is only thing I saw. Glorified fish hook, but hey, it looks like it will work. It also had some very nice ID charts for some very interesting looking bottom critters.
  
View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic   Reply to topic


Jump to:   

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

Releasing bottom fish - SaltwaterCentral.Com