heartworms - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Post new topic   Reply to topic
 

blackdiamond
Posts: 49
Location: up the W O riv stella
Reply with quote
Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:07 am
Can dogs get heartwoms from eating mosquitoes? ?
I think I'm getting bad info...
What say you? Rdnkvet help
  
View user's profile Send private message

Wildlifer
Posts: 170
Location: Wilmington
Reply with quote
Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:30 am
Eating? No, its transmitted by mosquitoes when they bite
_________________
https://vimeo.com/user21993468
Instagram @Justsmitty2
  
View user's profile Send private message

blackdiamond
Posts: 49
Location: up the W O riv stella
Reply with quote
Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:54 am
That's what I think. Google research confirmed.
I'm switching vets. The new one requires to test for them every year (30$)even though dogs have been on preventative meds.
  
View user's profile Send private message

Wildlifer
Posts: 170
Location: Wilmington
Reply with quote
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:13 am
blackdiamond wrote:
That's what I think. Google research confirmed.
I'm switching vets. The new one requires to test for them every year (30$)even though dogs have been on preventative meds.


Yea mine does to. I think of it as insurance just in case the meds lapse or dont do their job.
  
View user's profile Send private message

blackdiamond
Posts: 49
Location: up the W O riv stella
Reply with quote
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:18 am
They said the meds only protect from bites not eating fleas.i said they don't get it from fleas they changed to mosquitoes...this was from the reseptionist not the doc..  
View user's profile Send private message

Wildlifer
Posts: 170
Location: Wilmington
Reply with quote
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:30 am
blackdiamond wrote:
They said the meds only protect from bites not eating fleas.i said they don't get it from fleas they changed to mosquitoes...this was from the reseptionist not the doc..


sounds like they are out to sell you something. triheart pill once a month and a bravecto pill once every 6 months is what I use to keep him covered from everything.
  
View user's profile Send private message

BarryTurano
Posts: 2973
Location: Wilmington NC
Reply with quote
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:23 am
Dixie get tested once a year for Heart Worms and Parasites. This is done with her annual checkup. She get Heart Guard one a month that I get from https://www.petbucket.com/c/4521471/1/dogs.html
She also wears a Seresto collar for Fleas and Ticks. Change it every 8 months, I get that from Chewy.com
_________________
La Dolce Vita (The Sweet Life)
Sailfish 2660

USN Submarine Veteran
Knight of Neptune
USS Corporal SS346
Death From Below

There are only 2 types of ships.
Submarines and Targets

Coastal Carolina Submarine Veterans

Cape Fear Anglers
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

chumbucket
Posts: 2141
Location: Hampstead
Reply with quote
Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:24 pm
Heartworms come from mosquitos feeding on your dog. Tapeworms come from your dog eating fleas. Every decent vet out there requires an annual heartworm test even if your dog has been on preventative. Preventative isn't 100% effective. If your dog has heartworms, isn't checked, and gets some forms of preventative they could have a severe reaction. Trust me when I say vets are NOT requiring tests to make money. They are doing it do keep your dog safe.
_________________
Capt. Chum
USCG OUPV
Shenanigans Sportfishing
Onslow Bay 27

https://www.facebook.com/chum.bucket.90857
  
View user's profile Send private message

rdnkvet
Posts: 1432
Location: Wallace, NC
Reply with quote
Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:35 pm
What Chumbucket said. Most HW preventions on the market are very effective if administered monthly, but aren't foolproof (a dog could throw up the pill and you may not notice). They are transmitted from an infected dog to either the same dog or to another dog in order to complete their life cycle. The immature heartworm larva must be ingested by a mosquito in order for it to start to grow to infect another dog when that mosquito feeds again. A misconception about monthly HW pills is that they protect throughout the month. This is not the case. They are effective for only the 1-2 days when you administer them to clear any accumulated heartworm larva since the previous pill (up to 4-6 weeks). If you are late on the next administration, the larval heartworm may grow to a size that the pill can no longer stop and your dog winds up with adult heartworms in its heart. The pills are not effective against the adults. All the heartworm preventatives (there is a 6 month shot and a monthly topical as well) are guaranteed by the manufacturers. If you have annual heartworm tests and no lapse in purchase from an "authorized retailer", and your pet tests positive for heartworms, they will pay for the entire heartworm treatment. In addition, most HW tests on the market now screen for a variety of tick-borne diseases as well. It takes 6 months for a heartworm larva to grow to an adult and the test only detects the adults. Therefore, if you have missed prevention, you need two tests at least 6 months apart to confirm that your dog does not have heartworms from the period of missed prevention. The incidence of heartworm infection in dogs not on HW prevention in our area (SE NC) is nearly 50%.

Good info here:

https://www.heartwormsociety.org/
https://www.heartwormsociety.org/veterinary-resources/incidence-maps
  

Last edited by rdnkvet on Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message

rdnkvet
Posts: 1432
Location: Wallace, NC
Reply with quote
Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:37 pm
Wildlifer wrote:
blackdiamond wrote:
They said the meds only protect from bites not eating fleas.i said they don't get it from fleas they changed to mosquitoes...this was from the reseptionist not the doc..


sounds like they are out to sell you something. triheart pill once a month and a bravecto pill once every 6 months is what I use to keep him covered from everything.


Bravecto only lasts 3 months for flea/ticks and is an excellent flea/tick prevention.
  
View user's profile Send private message

blackdiamond
Posts: 49
Location: up the W O riv stella
Reply with quote
Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:11 pm
Thanks Doc and all for the info.....  
View user's profile Send private message

Wildlifer
Posts: 170
Location: Wilmington
Reply with quote
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:09 pm
rdnkvet wrote:
Wildlifer wrote:
blackdiamond wrote:
They said the meds only protect from bites not eating fleas.i said they don't get it from fleas they changed to mosquitoes...this was from the reseptionist not the doc..


sounds like they are out to sell you something. triheart pill once a month and a bravecto pill once every 6 months is what I use to keep him covered from everything.


Bravecto only lasts 3 months for flea/ticks and is an excellent flea/tick prevention.


You're right, got it confused with his proheart shot he use to get.
  
View user's profile Send private message

Back-Lash
Posts: 3028
Location: Sneads Ferry NC
Reply with quote
Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:04 pm
I use Bravecto and ivamectin on my Lab best money you can spend
_________________
USCG Master Captain
####2016 #1 SKA Division 9 Single Engine ###
####1 SKA Division 9 Senior Angler
### 2015 SKA National Champion
#3 2015 & 2014 SKA Division 9
300 4 stroke Yamaha Powered 23ft Contender
American Heart Association , USCG
  
View user's profile Send private message

Kato
Posts: 140
Location: Onslow County, NC
Reply with quote
Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:29 am
It's well worth the annual heartworm check and using the monthly preventative. If your dog gets heartworm the treatment is REALLY tough on the dog. They essentially have to poison your dog to kill the heartworms and it isn't an exact science. Different dogs react differently, age plays a role, etc. The dog truly suffers through the process and if aged, may not make it.
_________________
Cash poor....tackle rich.
  
View user's profile Send private message

alicec19
Posts: 1
Reply with quote
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:09 am
blackdiamond wrote:
That's what I think. Google research confirmed.
I'm switching vets mutuelles Entreprise. The new one requires to test for them every year (30$)even though dogs have been on preventative meds.

And maybe they have to be quarantined to prevent the spread of the disease.
  
View user's profile Send private message

rdnkvet
Posts: 1432
Location: Wallace, NC
Reply with quote
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:15 am
Kato wrote:
It's well worth the annual heartworm check and using the monthly preventative. If your dog gets heartworm the treatment is REALLY tough on the dog. They essentially have to poison your dog to kill the heartworms and it isn't an exact science. Different dogs react differently, age plays a role, etc. The dog truly suffers through the process and if aged, may not make it.


Don't know what happened to original post to this quote, but only the first sentence here is correct. The remainder is very outdated information (>20yrs).
  

Last edited by rdnkvet on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message

Capt.Barbosa
Posts: 793
Location: Oak Island, Chapel Hill, NC
Reply with quote
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:03 am
In my opinion it is a racket so you have to go pay the vet once a year. The reasoning makes sense tho, if your dog has heartworms and is given the preventive meds it could possibly kill ur dog, so it is a liability thing. I was told by a vet it was a law in NC. Years ago, you could just sign a waiver for the heartworm test saying the owner is responsible if anything happens. This doesn't happen anymore. Is it because of laws, or the fact you are handcuffed to a check up yearly with ur vet in order to get heartworm pills.

I finally got tired of paying the man, now I give my dog yearly vaccines, go to a free rabies clinic every few years, and get my heartworm pills from canada. Never had a problem with the heartworm pills (heartgard) from canada, always in date, and dog hasn't had a problem for a couple years of using them.

I may get bashed for these comments, but i couldn't justify spending way more money on my dogs healthcare than my own.
  
View user's profile Send private message

tireman
Posts: 794
Location: atlantic beach
Reply with quote
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:14 am
we have a vet in grifton rated # 3 in the nation its fathful friends veterinary. she can answer any questions you have and what she says is money. have had dogs all my life and she is the best I have seen.
_________________
2012/ 27xs onslow bay 300 verados
  
View user's profile Send private message

rdnkvet
Posts: 1432
Location: Wallace, NC
Reply with quote
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:07 pm
Capt.Barbosa wrote:
In my opinion it is a racket so you have to go pay the vet once a year. The reasoning makes sense tho, if your dog has heartworms and is given the preventive meds it could possibly kill ur dog, so it is a liability thing. I was told by a vet it was a law in NC. Years ago, you could just sign a waiver for the heartworm test saying the owner is responsible if anything happens. This doesn't happen anymore. Is it because of laws, or the fact you are handcuffed to a check up yearly with ur vet in order to get heartworm pills.

I finally got tired of paying the man, now I give my dog yearly vaccines, go to a free rabies clinic every few years, and get my heartworm pills from canada. Never had a problem with the heartworm pills (heartgard) from canada, always in date, and dog hasn't had a problem for a couple years of using them.

I may get bashed for these comments, but i couldn't justify spending way more money on my dogs healthcare than my own.


Unfortunately, due to the highly litigious society we live in, no medical professional can practice like they did in the past. Medical/veterinary/pharmacy laws dictate that a doctor/patient (veterinarian/client/patient) relationship be intact in order for prescription medications to be prescribed. The law considers 1 year a valid time frame for this relationship. Same as your pharmacy requiring doctor authorization for refills past one year. I wouldn't consider my profession to be a "racket" when you are attempting to abide by the laws that can remove you from your chosen profession and risk the safety of your pet.
  
View user's profile Send private message

Capt.Barbosa
Posts: 793
Location: Oak Island, Chapel Hill, NC
Reply with quote
Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:36 pm
rdnkvet wrote:
Capt.Barbosa wrote:
In my opinion it is a racket so you have to go pay the vet once a year. The reasoning makes sense tho, if your dog has heartworms and is given the preventive meds it could possibly kill ur dog, so it is a liability thing. I was told by a vet it was a law in NC. Years ago, you could just sign a waiver for the heartworm test saying the owner is responsible if anything happens. This doesn't happen anymore. Is it because of laws, or the fact you are handcuffed to a check up yearly with ur vet in order to get heartworm pills.

I finally got tired of paying the man, now I give my dog yearly vaccines, go to a free rabies clinic every few years, and get my heartworm pills from canada. Never had a problem with the heartworm pills (heartgard) from canada, always in date, and dog hasn't had a problem for a couple years of using them.

I may get bashed for these comments, but i couldn't justify spending way more money on my dogs healthcare than my own.


Unfortunately, due to the highly litigious society we live in, no medical professional can practice like they did in the past. Medical/veterinary/pharmacy laws dictate that a doctor/patient (veterinarian/client/patient) relationship be intact in order for prescription medications to be prescribed. The law considers 1 year a valid time frame for this relationship. Same as your pharmacy requiring doctor authorization for refills past one year. I wouldn't consider my profession to be a "racket" when you are attempting to abide by the laws that can remove you from your chosen profession and risk the safety of your pet.


First off, I apologize, "racket" might have been to strong of word to use in this situation. And I apologize for bashing ur profession....I am just fed up with it.

I know u are just doing what the laws say, but that still doesn't make it right. I am really not trying to bash u personally,,,,or ur profession. Im just fed up with the "man" requiring you to do this and that just so my we (my dog) can live a healthy life.

here's a question for ya....Why won't vets just let the tech draw blood for heartworm test so you can get the pills for a year. They all want to charge you 60+ for an "examination by the vet", plus this, plus that. next thing you know you have a $200 bill and all u wanted was some heartworm pills.

My main problem is that heartworm pills are essential (especially for eastern NC) so that your dog stays healthy.

Let me say this, I love my vet, they are great. And I take my dog there when I know something isn't right. But I do not like having to get an examination just to get preventive pills which are necessary for the healthy life of a dog. Sorry rant over, and again I apologize if i offended u.
  
View user's profile Send private message

rdnkvet
Posts: 1432
Location: Wallace, NC
Reply with quote
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:02 pm
No offense taken. As with any law, there are different interpretations and each practice may have different policies. I, for one, do allow a client to get HW pills with only an annual test. The owner can opt-out of the test if no prevention has been missed, but an annual exam is required to maintain the vet/client/patient relationship. I always recommend the test because cases of positive tests do occur even with no known missed pills (vomiting, late administration, and even new found concerns of possible resistance to pills). I detailed earlier the other reasons an annual test is good for the consumer. An exam is also recommended to monitor the petís overall health. I have always practiced in a rural area with lower income levels, so my policies are set within the parameters of the law without providing a barrier to healthcare. This may not be the case in large practices in the cities where overhead costs to operate the practice may exist.  
View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic   Reply to topic


Jump to:   

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

heartworms - SaltwaterCentral.Com