Trolling for Kings - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Dustin1234
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:48 am
Being new to salt water fishing I have been doing tons of research on how to catch kings and Spanish mackerel. With saying that I wanted to see if anyone on these forums could help from a terminal tackle standpoint on how I should prepare to troll. We will be fishing out of SC mostly within 25 miles from land. We have two penn internaltional reels that I am thinking of spoiling with 80lb test hi vis mono. What type mono I am still unsure of. Then follow the mono with about 30 yards of segar floro. I am unsure of what lb test to put at the leader. From what I have read these two rods will be at the back corners of the boat pulling a deeper bait. I will more than likely have those rods on down riggers. I plain to have 7ft rods on both sides of the boat with 25lb mono to some kind of floro leader pulling something in the middle of the depth zone. Then lastly I will run a shotgun bait off the t top right behind the prop near the top of the water with the 25lb line.

I am unsure what kind of lures to pull together. I have purchased several spoons as well as several bucktail .5-2oz jigs. I understand that different speeds of trolling require different baits in order to have them all run right and not spin out.

Do you prefer wire or mono leader attached to the bait? Or both In your spread? Are there any must have lures to pull that when put in the right place are low maintance and catch fish? Should I rethink the way to spread the baits out?

Any and all info would be helpful. Just would like to get the views of others on this topic!

pin
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:47 am
I believe you are overthinking things. Penn Int with 80lb line is heavy for kings unless you are meatfishing with drone spoons/planers. Most use 20-25 lb line for live/dead bait, and you can bump up from there if trolling lures(most use live or dead bait). Use wire leader to your baits to avoid bite offs. Good luck
33\' Sportfisher, Oak Island, NC

FrankieB
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:10 pm
I've killed lots of kings with pirate plugs with dead cigar Minnows.
Trolled 4-6 knots on 20 and 30 class reels with 20 pound high vis yellow with 20 pound flouro leader. If it's hot out and waters hot - go deeper with planer.
Spanish I use small planers and 15 and 20 class reels with same line set up. The big ones will hit cigar Minnows but clark spoons are deadly on Spanish.
Good luck

Dustin1234
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:54 pm
I will definitely put 20lb on most of my reels. I think I will have a heavier line on a few in case we need to run some heavier planners. All the other rods will be in the size 30 class. Thanks for the info  

kp1226
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:39 pm
FrankieB wrote:
Trolled 4-6 knots on 20 and 30 class reels with 20 pound high vis yellow with 20 pound flouro leader. If it's hot out and waters hot - go deeper with planer.
Spanish I use small planers and 15 and 20 class reels with same line set up. The big ones will hit cigar Minnows but clark spoons are deadly on Spanish.
Good luck

For the spanish, Do you fish the same area with the PP as you do with the clarks or do you go to deeper water?

Srobbins
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:03 pm
Get some Big Nic Macahoo or BWC wedgie rigs and frozen cigar minnows. Just this simple. Pull them any of the ways you describe and you’ll catch kings as long as they’re in the area. Set up with 20 class reels and 30# line and you’ll enjoy the fight. Anything bigger and you may just reel them in. Not that that’s a bad thing.  

Dustin1234
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:12 pm
I know that the large reels are a bit big. I just feel like there is always that what if factor while fishing in the ocean.  

carpepiscem
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:28 pm
What FrankieB said. Keep it simple. Pirate plugs w/ dead cigar minnows, trolled slowly, will catch kings if they're around. Yes, you'll want wire leaders for kings. For spanish, small planers, long mono or floro leaders (I use 30 feet of 20 lb floro) and 00 or 0 Clark spoons at about 6-7 knots. Any slower and you'll catch blues. Good luck.  

kicker30
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:25 pm
kp1226 wrote:
FrankieB wrote:
Good luck

For the spanish, Do you fish the same area with the PP as you do with the clarks or do you go to deeper water?

Spanish are normally fished for right off the beach, 20-30’ of water or less normally with a max or maybe 50’ if there is some kind of nearshore structure or AR. Kings can sometimes be found on the beach (mainly in the fall) but are normally in deeper water, more along the lines of 50-100’ or a little more, especially to find them in numbers. You may also find some larger Spanish scattered in with the kings in the deeper water but that more the exception than the rule.

carpepiscem
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:38 pm
Dustin, one more tip on the Spanish near the beach (just to save you some frustration). Clark spoons are terrible line twisters, so you'll need a good swivel on the end of the leader that attaches to the #1 planer or the 1-oz trolling weight. (I like Spro swivels.) Tie the other end of the leader directly to the spoon. I usually fish two lines near the surface w trolling weights, and two down deeper with planers. It's as close to guaranteed fish catching as you are likely to come in warm weather. Usually, I get about 70% on the planers, but sometimes they like the spoons on the planers. Long leaders (30 feet) catch more fish, but they're a bit of trouble to handline in. If the fish are not too spooky, you can get by with shorter leaders.  

wavescrash
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:59 pm
Over. Kill.

Not sure what research you did, but you were looking in the wrong places.

ATBob
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:59 am
wavescrash wrote:
Over. Kill.

Not sure what research you did, but you were looking in the wrong places.

Yup, just hook a Mackerel tree to your bottom gear and troll about 7 Kt.

Jump to: