Mud minnows for spanish? - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Goto page 1, 2  Next

kp1226
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:48 am
Probably a dumb question but does anyone use mud minnows for live bait spanish fishing? Iím 2 hours from beach so getting an early start fishing is tough. Looking to save time by not hunting for bait since it is usually mid morning before I can get there.

RyanY
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:57 pm
I honestly think time saved wouldnít equal fish caught.
I can think maybe of one time...maybe once, I caught a Spanish on a mud minnow. I think peanut ponies are way better for the big ones.

Bilzo
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:03 pm
I don't think it'd be an ideal setup. I think youd be better off with 'shiny' minnows or spoons.  

wavescrash
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:18 pm
You'd be better off to use lures  

kp1226
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:12 pm
Thanks for the advice. Scratching that one off the list.

glacierbaze
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:05 pm
I don't see their archives on line, but Carolina Outdoor Journal did a live bait spanish show, and I thought I remembered big mud minnows.  

PirateJuan
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:11 pm
Spanish are idiots. They'll hit anything shiny. I even spray my planers with stove paint so they don't get hit. Spoons and other trolling lures are cheap, they work, and they last forever.

glacierbaze
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:47 am
But they are not as much fun.  

kp1226
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:03 pm
glacierbaze wrote:

Exactly. I pull spoons and planers, birds, yozuri's all the time. I want to get to a bigger class of fish and live bait is the ticket.

Anyone troll dead bait with mackahoos or BWC rigs targeting spanish?

Bilzo
Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:06 pm
Want bigger Spanish? Troll a daisy chain behind a bird with a decent flashy stinger lure. Youíll get fewer strikes but better quality fish.  

Matador
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:13 pm
The BWC Spanish daisy chains are great

You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him THINK.

wavescrash
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:37 pm
kp1226 wrote:
glacierbaze wrote:

Exactly. I pull spoons and planers, birds, yozuri's all the time. I want to get to a bigger class of fish and live bait is the ticket.

Not targeting, but they'll bite dead bait. Like live ones better though. Peanut pogies are deadly and easier to catch than mullet.

PirateJuan
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:29 pm
Bilzo wrote:
Want bigger Spanish? Troll a daisy chain behind a bird with a decent flashy stinger lure. Youíll get fewer strikes but better quality fish.

Yep! I use BWC daisies. Havenít used the bird, but the daisy by itself slightly out-fished my spoons last year. Best part is that a bluefish has never hit mine.

kp1226
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:47 pm
Good stuff guys. Appreciate all the feedback.

KatfishKayak
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:35 am
kp1226 wrote:

I've hammered a bunch of good spanish while pulling my king rigs with frozen cigar minnows.

The only thing I've managed to pick up trolling mud minnows was lizard fish and needle fish.
Canyon Wren - Parker 2320 SC - 300hp Yamaha

AB1620
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:57 am
Where do you fish out of? Out of MHC there are plenty of creeks that are slam full of peanut pogies in the summer. It's rare if I throw more than once. Finger mullet swim the best and are the toughest but also take a little longer to catch. Especially early in the summer. I like to carry both that way I can throw some overboard if they aren't awake and biting yet.  

kp1226
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:41 am
AB1620 wrote:
Where do you fish out of? Out of MHC there are plenty of creeks that are slam full of peanut pogies in the summer. It's rare if I throw more than once. Finger mullet swim the best and are the toughest but also take a little longer to catch. Especially early in the summer. I like to carry both that way I can throw some overboard if they aren't awake and biting yet.

I fish out of Southport.

buzz4prez
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:16 pm
PirateJuan wrote:
Bilzo wrote:

Yep! I use BWC daisies. Havenít used the bird, but the daisy by itself slightly out-fished my spoons last year. Best part is that a bluefish has never hit mine.

Oh They will and they will mess your rig up.

Bilzo
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:51 pm
fishing out of hatteras we haven't had bluefish hit the daisy chains when targeting spanish. But we do get a fat albert every now and then.  

dtedder
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:30 pm
I've caught quite a few citation size spanish on small and medium size pogies trolling for kings. Our baits were from 4 to 6 inches long. They will hit frozen cigar minnows too. Small live mullets will catch them too. All the citations I've caught were in 40 to 60 ft water.. Gottca plugs and spoons are great close in,, peanut pogies or finger mullet will catch some large than average size fish closer inshore  

AB1620
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:12 am
To everyone saying pull a daisy chain, clarkspoon etc, it's clearly obvious he's wanting to live bait for big ones. And I can promise you a peanut pogie or a finger mullet will out fish any of that any day of the week on 4+ pound Spanish. Sure you may catch one every now and then on them but a size 8 gold treble with a 3-4 inch piece of 30 lb 7 strand with the smallest spro swivel you can find will out fish that any day. Trust me, many of days I've watched numerous boats do circles around me on the reefs with planers and birds throwing their arms up wondering how I'm catching them one after another.  

PirateJuan
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:20 am
Bilzo wrote:
fishing out of hatteras we haven't had bluefish hit the daisy chains when targeting spanish. But we do get a fat albert every now and then.

Yeah alberts and bonitos have hit mine, but bluefish don't seem to like the surface stuff around here.

kp1226
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:18 am
AB1620 wrote:
To everyone saying pull a daisy chain, clarkspoon etc, it's clearly obvious he's wanting to live bait for big ones. And I can promise you a peanut pogie or a finger mullet will out fish any of that any day of the week on 4+ pound Spanish. Sure you may catch one every now and then on them but a size 8 gold treble with a 3-4 inch piece of 30 lb 7 strand with the smallest spro swivel you can find will out fish that any day. Trust me, many of days I've watched numerous boats do circles around me on the reefs with planers and birds throwing their arms up wondering how I'm catching them one after another.

Based on what you are saying in your example of the reefs, with the live pogies, do you fish the same areas as you would the spoons and planers? Like the tidelines for instance or is it better to fish the reef areas or rocks like you would kings?

Meat fishing with planers and spoons is fun but im ready to step it up and "sportfish" a little with the spanish. Rather have 4-5 really nice spanish and fight them on light tackle than to limit out on 14-15" with spoons.

Bilzo
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:38 pm
Quote:

Good point. But live baiting big Spanish with mud minnows is clearly not the best approach, and I think we've all convinced him of that.

How much harassment do you get from Blues and other creatures when you're live baiting? (disclaimer - it's only harassment if its a trash fish).

PirateJuan
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:17 pm
Bilzo wrote:
Quote:

Good point. But live baiting big Spanish with mud minnows is clearly not the best approach, and I think we've all convinced him of that.

How much harassment do you get from Blues and other creatures when you're live baiting? (disclaimer - it's only harassment if its a trash fish).

Or the tax man

Capt.Barbosa
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:18 pm
AB1620 wrote:

best advice so far. You can either slow troll with smallish pogies or anchor on bottom structure and light line. The great thing about anchoring is you can fish for flounder, etc, etc, and also be fishing for spanish, king and cobia with a light line. If your current is right you can free line without balloon or kite, if not you can use balloons and run multiple lines. Some guys I take out want to do both (flounder fish and king fish), so I will anchor on good flounder spots let them pound the bottom and will usually catch some nice Spaniards or kings too.

AB1620
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:02 pm
kp1226 wrote:
AB1620 wrote:

Based on what you are saying in your example of the reefs, with the live pogies, do you fish the same areas as you would the spoons and planers? Like the tidelines for instance or is it better to fish the reef areas or rocks like you would kings?

Meat fishing with planers and spoons is fun but im ready to step it up and "sportfish" a little with the spanish. Rather have 4-5 really nice spanish and fight them on light tackle than to limit out on 14-15" with spoons.

I have. I have stopped where I have seen them busting/jumping on tidelines and done ok. I have also done pretty well around bait balls on the beach but the tried and true method is on the nearshore wrecks right at first light. They will bite through the day if not many boats show up but at the nearshore wrecks out of MHC that's not gonna happen. Spanish are a little different than Kings in that they like to hold right on top of the structure. You can catch them around the wrecks and on the smaller structure but I have typically had the banner days right on top of the main structure. I don't like to anchor. I typically do one of two things: slow troll like I do for Kings or pull up on top of the structure and throw a couple lines out. I don't like to anchor because I don't want to lose an anchor and I also don't want to take up the whole wreck. Everyone can fish it if it's done that way. If you have a livewell full of baits, pull on top of the wreck and throw a net full overboard and have each person throw a line out and hang on.

As far as the trash fish go, that's always a possibility but it seems to depend on the day. The bigger sharks leave you alone due to the smaller baits but the smaller ones will mess with you. The blue fish are there some days and non existent others. Seems the hotter it gets they head inshore. One Pain in the butt is the Needle fish or Carteret County Marlin as some call them. If they are around you might as well move to a different wreck.

One more thing on the tackle. Use your trout rods instead of your typical trolling rods (TLDs, etc). The light tip seems to help with the bite on the tiny trebles. Just make sure you put 10 feet or so of a fluoro leader on. Oh and leave the trailer off. You will miss bites but at least you are getting bites. I'd say 90% of days they WILL NOT bite a rig with a trailer.

wavescrash
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:00 pm
Spanish are, in my experience, much more leader shy than kings  

kp1226
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:05 pm
Thanks everyone.

AB1620
Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:59 am
wavescrash wrote:
Spanish are, in my experience, much more leader shy than kings

Correct. I've seen one come charging in on a finger mullet and come to a screeching halt inches from the bait. Look at it.....then swim away. The short light 7 strand is the best way to go.

Jump to: