Question: Rod and Line LB's - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Becominq
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:27 pm
Hello everyone!

Complete beginner here so take it easy on me haha, I had a question about the line weight in regards to the rod. I have a "KastKing Crixus rod and reel combo" * 5'6 length model * The rod is rated for 4-8lbs line weight, I was wondering if i threw on 10lb test if that would be okay? I fish saltwater off docks in Florida and not targeting anything big really. I understand that you want your line to break before your rod I just wasn't sure if i had to strictly stay within the rods recommendations or if 2 extra lbs would be a potential problem.

I've been currently using "KastKing FluoroKote" 8lb flurocarbon line but have had some issues with backlash and line twist and wanted to try out some braided hybrid superlines. I've checked out Fireline, Spiderwire, Sufix and PowerPro and many people have suggested that PowerPro Spectra Fiber line on spinning reels works nice. I was debating between a Hi Vis Yellow in 8lb, or Vermilion Red in 10lb.

I plan to use fluorocarbon as a leader line with the PowerPro as the main line. I like the look of the red more but because it is only offered in the 10lb at the moment, I was not sure if that was okay for my small rod rated at 8lb?

Thanks for any help and/or suggestions!

KatfishKayak
Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:21 am
That sounds like a pretty light setup for salt water. I'm sure with some finesse, it will handle some fish, but you'll have to work at it if you get into anything with size to it. Fishing off the docks down in FL, you're subject to hooking up with some healthy jacks, which can be a challenge on heavier spinning gear. A decent sized 'cuda or even a smallish tarpon will probably spool you.

Putting that 10lb line on that setup isn't going to hurt anything, though. Be aware that braid is hard to break, and it will cut you like a razor if you try to break it off by hand.

I don't think, for that kind of fishing, the line color really matters much.
Canyon Wren - Parker 2320 SC - 300hp Yamaha

Jump to: