Yamaha 150 4 stroke overheat alarm at idle - SaltwaterCentral.Com

DAVID146
Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:15 pm
I have a 150 4 stoke that after idleing for ten minutes the overheat alarm goes off place it in gear and she goes off in a few seconds.
I have replace the pump checked pop it value do I go to the thermostat next I have no problem while running.

Chaos
Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:41 pm
I would check the thermostat. If it is stuck open it could be you problem. What is idle rpm in and out of gear?  

DAVID146
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:04 pm
Open or closed? the rpm are set at factory level for that motor. I have had it since 2012 prop 600 hours on it I flush it after use I looked at the thermostat it looks good no corrosion but that does not matter. It does make motor go into limp mode but clears up when under way the water seams to stay the same but I think it is running a little warmer than before could I have some passage block somewhere?  

BarryTurano
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:09 am
Not sure if the 4 strokes have this but the OX66 two strokes had a poppet valve that would clog and cause overheating at idle but would clear up at higher rpms.

USN Submarine Veteran
Knight of Neptune
USS Corporal SS346
Death From Below

There are only 2 types of ships.
Submarines and Targets

Coastal Carolina Submarine Veterans

Cape Fear Anglers

DAVID146
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:56 am
BarryTurano wrote:
Not sure if the 4 strokes have this but the OX66 two strokes had a poppet valve that would clog and cause overheating at idle but would clear up at higher rpms.

I think the pop it is ok.

Chaos
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:26 pm
Use an infrared thermometer to verify that it is over heating. The sensor is at the top of the exhaust plate ( it has a pink wire coming out of it). If it is not over heating the thermal switch is bad. I have replaced on numerous engines over the years. I know you said the rpms are set at factory that is not a number. Please provide the rpm number. Lots of things can affect the rpm even if you never turned the screws. Just trying to help you out.  

DAVID146
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:01 pm
So I put a new thermostat in and this not fix the issue at first. when the alarm goes off the water is warmer than normal. So we messed with it all morning yesterday in the water and finally it quit getting warm and worked normally so we came to the conclusion that there was something either restricting the thermostat or keeping the pop it open. So when I got home today I took those items off and flushed it well.
I ran it 20 min this morning on the muffs and she never even peed warm at all so maybe I got the issue solved

Thanks everyone

BarryTurano
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:29 pm
Happy that it all worked out. Could have been something as small as a grain of sand.

USN Submarine Veteran
Knight of Neptune
USS Corporal SS346
Death From Below

There are only 2 types of ships.
Submarines and Targets

Coastal Carolina Submarine Veterans

Cape Fear Anglers

STICK-SLINGER
Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:37 pm
Just throw this out there in case someone is worried about corrosion.. I use salt away until I get done with the jug and then I mix carwash with vinegar 1/2 and 1/2.. 50% each. I wash the boat with this and run it through the engine as well. the vinegar gets all the salt and I think it helps overall.
910-640-7772

DAVID146
Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:18 pm
Chaos wrote:
Use an infrared thermometer to verify that it is over heating. The sensor is at the top of the exhaust plate ( it has a pink wire coming out of it). If it is not over heating the thermal switch is bad. I have replaced on numerous engines over the years. I know you said the rpms are set at factory that is not a number. Please provide the rpm number. Lots of things can affect the rpm even if you never turned the screws. Just trying to help you out.

So Iím still having this issue, idols about 600 only alarms when in the water and at idol, may only do it once. A day I have had the thermal all over it and reads about 160 at various points. It will not alarm on the muffs. Could I have a thermostat stick or should I lean more to the sensor I have flushed this thing everway I know how.
Thanks

Chaos
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:58 pm
Your rpm should be in the 700 range. this can make a big difference in the water supply. Also, I have seen where people have replaced the impeller without replacing the cup and wear plate even thought there were grooves in it. it makes a big difference. I have also seen where the impeller was damaged on installation so the problem still existed.  

Chaos
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:59 pm
try rpms first them go back to the water pump.  

DAVID146
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:01 am
Everything on the pump is fine what perplexes me is that it does not do it consistently. Iím the water it idle for 20 min no issue ran a few miles come off plan alarm went off then no issues the rest of the day. Could I have some cooling veins pulg that Iím not seeing are they that small and if thatís so why not cause trouble on muffs. Could it be a sticking new thermostat tech is unsure himself make me think the sensor is acting up.  

Chaos
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:55 am
Sounds like it is the low oil pressure alarm. Are you 100 percent sure it is the water temp?  

DAVID146
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:08 am
Yes I have lights that tell what it is. All this started when it sucked sand up.  

AboutTime2Fish
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:11 am
Have someone watch the primer bulb when you come off plane. See if it collapses.

CW66
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:29 am
I had a sensor go bad and throw me into Limp mode, but mine was when i ran over 4500 rpms for more than 3 min.
Dale at Carolina Outboards in Hampstead found and fixed the problem when I explained the symptoms and result.
\"Fine Girl\"
2015 Sportsman Masters 207 Bay

\"I play with Electricity!\"

mrjaco
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:43 am
I have a 150 4 stoke that after idleing for ten minutes the overheat alarm goes off place it in gear and she goes off in a few seconds.

---------------------
Mesothelioma treatment, diagnosis and related information for patients and families. Legal options for those diagnosed with malignant mesothelioma.

DAVID146
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:15 am
mrjaco wrote:

---------------------
Mesothelioma treatment, diagnosis and related information for patients and families. Legal options for those diagnosed with malignant mesothelioma.

So after 6 months I finally figured mine out..

1. Took the thermostat out
2. Took lower unit off
3. Flushed water through ever port I could find on the engine there are many
4. New pump with housing

Works great

What I think happened is a piece of silicone broke loose off the pump housing about the size of my thumb and was blocking something up intermittently..

No issue now

trout
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:49 pm
If you are only flushing with the hose pipe connection it does not go by the thermostat. You should flush with earmuffs once in a while and let it run long enough to get up to temp and clear the salt out of the top end.  

Jump to: