vhf radio - SaltwaterCentral.Com

tireman
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:33 pm
my vhf radio on the boat is recieving good but very weak out put any one steer me in the right direction?

blackdiamond
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:48 pm
I had same issue. Check your antenna. if possible connect to one you know is good and when you do a radio check ask for their location.  

cashmorkie
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:21 pm
Had a similar issue a few years back that turned out to be a broken solder joint at the base of the antenna. Also check your output switch, if dual output meaning output of 25 watts or 5 watts make sure you switch to 25 watt. Ok, yes I finally figured this out after 2 trips where I could hear my buddy boat but he couldn’t hear me.  

glacierbaze
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:54 pm
After making adjustments, you can use the automated radio check on channel 27, and hear exactly what your output sounds like on the playback.  

RyanY
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:01 am
Key up on 25 watts and hold it for a few long seconds, does it say low battery? or does it turn off? If so, its mostl likely a bad ground. I have one of ours wired directly to the battery's ground so we dont have any more issues.
Like others have stated, you can also key up on channel 26 or 27, whcihever is your local seatow radio check. Key up and hold for five seconds with motor running, then without. Youll hear any back gound noise come back to you in the recording. If its garbled, its probably a ground.
Antenna can also house gremlin like others have stated, they like to hide in there too.
Good luck.

tireman
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:38 am
thanks will try

tramac
Location: High Point, NC Carolina Beach, NC. On assignment Pascagoula, MS
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:39 am
If you decide you need an antenna, i have a 6 footer you can have if your interested. Not sure of the model, but will be glad to look. I keep moving it place to place in my shop, ready to just get out of the way. Send me a PM if you're interested.  

Jump to: