Charleston Harbor boat hits rock jetty - SaltwaterCentral.Com

SEAHORSE
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:11 pm
Feel sorry for this guy. Temptation entering or leaving Charleston Harbor to turn North or South too soon is very hard to resist especially at high tide when you can't see the rocks under water. Please guys no experts on what a tool the guy is or anything else like that , no reports of alcohol just made a bad decision.
My last trip south from Montauk, I was entering the inlet at Morehead City and there was a huge dredge and tugs and oil drums being used for support of the dredge pipes that were submerged. It was just about dusk and I called the Dredge Capt. asking for what side he wanted me to pass him? I got some smart ass answer from him in a language that was not understandable for me or my mate. Pretty sure he was Cajun but who cares. Annoyed he responded to my request for what side to pass and proceeded to give me a lecture on rules of the road, day shapes and a whole lot of other unnecessary crap. Next morning the fleet was headed offshore as we were getting ready to head for CB, and somebody asked same question what side would you like me to pass? Again not to make me fee alone he proceeded to give this Capt a lecture like I got. Well he ripped him a new asshole and I was laughing my ass off. Next charter boat that asked which side he was very polite and said "Hug the port side of the oil drums you'll be fine Capt. Have a nice day"
Older Captain told me one time that if you run boats long enough your going to run aground or hit something especially if your running the east coast delivering boats or heading up or down to or from Florida, and not always coming in and out the same inlets your familiar with.

https://www.live5news.com/2020/03/22/rescued-boat-after-crash-into-jetty/ :

Jump to: