Blue water super map???? - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Tugs
Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:28 am
Is there a way to download way points from blue water supermap and transfer to my Garmin 540s?? I think I will need the home port software. It would be nice so I didn't have to punch in all of the data. just a thought. 8)
Saltwater is an addiction I dont want to quit!!!

Capt_Dave
Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:45 am
Tugs,

Why yes there is....

Once you have the waypoints displaying.....look in the top right hand corner of the Waypoints Drop down.....Click on Download GPX

Dave

Let\'s go kill something!
Carolina Beach Fishing Charters

blueoceaneyez
Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:50 am
There is... :D

Supermap -> Waypoints -> Select the ones you want -> Download GPX waypoints button -> Save to your computer.

Open Mapsource or Home Port or whatever program you use -> Import that GPX File -> do whatever editing you want to do -> Save -> Send the saved file to your SD card -> insert in Garmin.
Online: www.SecondWindFishing.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/SecondWindFishing
Instagram: www.instagram.com/capt.amanda.king

robby
Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:36 am
blueoceaneyez wrote:
There is... :D

Supermap -> Waypoints -> Select the ones you want -> Download GPX waypoints button -> Save to your computer.

Open Mapsource or Home Port or whatever program you use -> Import that GPX File -> do whatever editing you want to do -> Save -> Send the saved file to your SD card -> insert in Garmin.
i think i will have to stick to hen picking.

Dialed In Fishing Team

31 Cape Horn

blueoceaneyez
Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:42 am
i swear its a piece of cake!!! :D :D really!!

rabrador
Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:42 am
OK, I've downloaded the .gpx file titled waypoints onto my desktop. Well, first I went to Garmin and downloaded Homeport, checked for updates, then restarted. When I go import the file waypoints into Homeport, I get the message "Unable to import file waypoints". Any ideas?  

Capt_Dave
Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:21 am
Did it say why?

Personaly I use GPSU to import and export.

I have heard tell of Garmin software not likeing a waypoint name with a ' in it.

If I recall there are a couple in there called 110' foot hole or something like that.

GPX is a text file more or less. Open it up in notepad and look through the file names. Remove the ' whatever line number it gives and then try to upload it again.

Dave

Let\'s go kill something!
Carolina Beach Fishing Charters

blueoceaneyez
Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:16 pm
Mapsource does the same to me with Supermap - "can't open" or something like that - ... here's what I do...

I take the supermap .gpx file, go to www.gpsies.com (free online, no download..) and convert supermap's gpx into a brand new .gpx.....don't change the filename at all when it asks you to save ... and it works then ... I don't know why i have to go from gpx to gpx but Mapsource always takes the new one I convert.

Capt_Keith
Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:51 pm
rabrador, Tugs if you can not get it to work i got the file in Garmain*.gdb i can send you. Just pm me your email and i'll send it.
www.MyrtleBeachInshoreFishingCharters.com
Myrtle Beach Fishing

MidnightWind
Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:10 pm
gpx is a universal file format, and Garmin software won't recoganise them. They have to be converted to a gdb file format. EasyGPS will do this for you. It is free as a download, and the best I've found.

Also, if you have it, Mapsourse Trips and waypoint manager is much easier and better to work with than Homeport.

If you get down to around the Wilmington area, I will do all this for you, (or anybody that needs help).

Another option would be to tell me which, or all waypoints you want out of Supermap, and I can pull them, convert them to a Garmin format, and load onto a SD card and mail to you.

Another "trick" is to always put your new, blank SD card into your unit and turn it on before loading anything on to it. It will sink itself to your specific unit.

Rabrador, DO NOT download, or do a save as to get your numbers into Mapsourse, or Homeport. Wierd things will happen. Instead, use the Transfer-Receive from/to device routien. "Device" being your SD card.

Blueyes, gdb is a Garmin propriortary database. That is why you have to change from gpx. You can save as any filename you want. I've got at least 8 or 9 seperate filenames, and database names I use depending on what type fishing, and what location, I plan on being in.

Dave, Garmin is pretty flexable whith the charceters used in a name. If you want to change the name, do it in Mapsourse before importing (transfering) into your unit.

Let me know if I can help you.

Good Luck,
Midnight

blueoceaneyez
Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:06 pm
I know gdb and gpx. I too have a cpl SD cards and files. I don't load files to the sd card w/o first view & save thru mapsource. You & Dave go about getting the GDB in a diff way than me, but thats okay..more than 1 way to cook a fish... I'd still have to convert it one way or the other. 8)

What I'm talking about is when I download files directly from Supermap onto my computer then try to open into Mapsoure to edit, rename, etc., I have to re-gpx it to even open into Mapsource. Otherwise I get an error message like the guy above. When I save in Mapsource, *then* I get the GDB to put on the Garmin.

GPSIES.com converts the supermap gpx to a new gpx waypoint file for me to use... I don't rename it when GPSIES asks me. Mapsource opens THIS gpx right up. My Mapsource just won't take the direct gpx file saved from Supermap is what I'm saying here. So i'm wondering if the guy above is having the same prob as me... I have to convert it to a fresh GPX... Weird but that's how I have to do it to work..

rabrador
Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:57 pm
Thanks guys. I got the numbers in, but I had to download a program that resaves the files (someone referrenced it above) and then I imported that into Garmin HomePort and from there into my 545. Unfortunately there were so many waypoints that my translation program wouldn't accept them all at once. I had to do this for six or seven files named "AR's" "Inlets" "AR Bottom" "AR Wrecks" "Wrecks", and so forth.
I also noticed a few wierd anomalies, such as a waypoint that I *think* was meant to refer to the Cassimer showing up somewhere in Newport, NC. Other than that, everything looks ok. Oh, and when you have this many waypionts you have to turn the map setting to "Symbols" or otherwise it will look like a bulletin board full of post it notes - you won't even be able to see anything on the chart!

Jump to: