My New Boat - 22' Buddy Cannady - Build Out - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

HighSpeedWelding
Sat May 17, 2014 7:27 pm
I’ve been in the market to purchase a 20-24 boat for a while and never found one that I wanted. Two weeks ago I came across a bare 22’ hull built by Buddy Cannady that had recently been re-glassed and painted. I instantly realized that this was the boat for me.

I grew up in Manteo, NC. My dad, Capt. Allan Foreman, started running fishing charters out of Oregon Inlet back in ‘71 on his first boat named Gal-O-Mine. That’s where he met Capt. BC and they both became good friends. Dad purchased an inshore head boat named Crystal Dawn and moved both boats to Pirate’s Cove Yacht Club which he founded under the name of Pirate’s Cove Marina in ‘76. Dad had a second Gal-O-Mine built by Omie Tillet that he fished for several years. He decided to sell Pirates Cove in ’82 to free up some time that he could dedicate towards his family and fishing. In ‘90, He, Capt. BC, David Swain, Bobby Croswait, Don Croswait, and Tom Croswait built a 57’ offshore head boat that he named Country Girl (which is still in operation today – docked beside the original Crystal Dawn).

Dad met my mom through her step dad, Buddy Cannady, when she would come to the docks to see the day’s catch. I grew up fishing on the Country Girl since I was tall enough to hold a pole of my own. Rest in peace to all the sea bass, trigger fish, and not to mention the 250lb blue marlin that was released at the age of 8. I grew up working on both boats until my senior year of high school when I picked up welding. I worked in the metal shop at Spencer Yachts until I started college at UNC Wilmington in 2005. Freshman year was the birth of High Speed Welding when I started building truck ladder racks out of my single car garage. After about a year I moved into my first shop where I started building T Tops and then on to a new 6000 square foot shop which we’re currently operating out of today.
Hopefully by now you can understand how special it is for me to own a hand built boat crafted by my grandfather. Not to mention it would also serve as a bad ass tender for my dad’s boat Country Girl.

With me living in Wilmington, four hours away from Manteo, I asked my brother to check it out. He did and mentioned that it was actually a second cousin of ours who was selling it. I called and talked to my granddad about it. I asked when he built it, what type of wood he used, and some general performance related questions. I then called my cousin and asked what he used it for and why he wants to sell it. It turns out that the boat was previously used for crabbing and he decided that it was too nice of a boat to crab in. He had a local boat builder, Vernon Gilbert, re glass the inside/outside and spray on a fresh coat of paint. Funny part about that is, he is the same man who gave the Country Girl its most recent glass/paint job.

After we hung up the phone it might had been 30 minutes until I called him back and we came to an agreement. I planned to make the drive up the next evening. I got to the boat a few minutes before he did and walked around while checking it out from top to bottom. After running my hands down the side I realized that I would own this boat forever. My mind was racing with ideas on how to build it. Which motor? Which console? Bracket off the back? What size fuel tank? Upper control station? Full Tower?

My cousin showed up and we talked about it for a bit. I asked about his opinion on a motor and he laughed when I said, “I want to put a 200 off the back”. He screamed, “Are you nuts?! She did 32 knots with a 90 on the back!” We both laughed and then I asked if it had a fuel tank. He said, “no, but I’ll show you what I did.” He jumped in and so did I. Once I put my leg over the gunnel I realized that this boat is the exact same boat that I grew up on only smaller. Same builder, same materials, same paint, same heritage. Sent chills down my spine.

Hauled the boat to my parents and the rest of the family came and checked it out before dinner. My mom told me, “It brought a tear to her eye when she heard that I was buying one of her step dad’s hulls”. All parties involved agreed that I was the absolute best buyer for the boat and that I would do her proud.

Now that the console and brand new 150 Yamaha should arrive Monday, it’s time to get to work and put this thing together. With the help of Beau Johnson with Johnson Custom Boat Works, Luke Donat with Donat Marine Solutions, and Brian Forehand with Marker 17 Marine we hope to have the boat put together for this Memorial Day weekend.

llessur2
Sat May 17, 2014 7:33 pm
Awesome story and congrats. Now show us some pictures when u get the chance

HighSpeedWelding
Sat May 17, 2014 7:40 pm
Here are the pics

HighSpeedWelding
Sat May 17, 2014 7:44 pm
One more

llessur2
Sat May 17, 2014 7:53 pm
Beautiful. Any clue on boat weight? That thing with a white outboard would be sharp. Nothing better looking than custom Carolina boat in my opinion.

CoastalCarolina
Sat May 17, 2014 9:14 pm
Pretty girl! Good luck with her..  

wavescrash
Sat May 17, 2014 9:15 pm
That is awesome. Going with a bracket?  

Franklin
Sat May 17, 2014 11:49 pm
Great story!! Keep the build pics coming and thank you for sharing.  

Noworries79
Sun May 18, 2014 1:37 am
That's some Carolina flare right there. Congratulations on the acquisition. How is Capt. BC these days? Keep us posted on the progress, this is exciting to watch.

dpwats12
Sun May 18, 2014 1:44 am
I love it!! She is beautiful.  

eyefish
Sun May 18, 2014 11:01 am
That is so awesome!!! I wonder if that is the same hull that was sitting in BCs yard, when they were building Billy Maxwell's, "Tuna Fever". I use to love going over there and watch BC, Bobby Croswait, and the others work their magic. A true thing of Beauty!!!  

MarlinManiac
Sun May 18, 2014 1:34 pm
It's a small world Stuart. I've had the pleasure of fishing on Country Girl and with Capt. BC over the years. And your team at High Speed Welding did a fine job on my Proline T-Top earlier this year. That's a beautiful rig you've got. The fact that it's a part of your family history makes it that much better. It's amazing how that bow pic looks exactly like his bigger boats do. Good luck with the outfitting and be sure to update us with some pics as you go.

Last edited by MarlinManiac on Thu May 21, 2015 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total

WTF
Sun May 18, 2014 10:03 pm
That's the boat that was parked at napa; I tried to hunt down the owner in early April to see about buying her! Beautiful boat, congrats and I can't wait to see the finished product! Looked to me like it was set up for a single bracket; that will be one heck of a great ride!  

Timorjc
Sun May 18, 2014 11:37 pm
Sweet ride.  

HighSpeedWelding
Mon May 19, 2014 1:14 pm
Yes. Its going to be an exciting week. I'll post some pics of the motor bracket build. Excited to get the console soon so we can cut the deck for the fuel tank and then get to work.

HighSpeedWelding
Mon May 19, 2014 1:40 pm
Yes. Its going to be an exciting week. I'll post some pics of the motor bracket build. Excited to get the console soon so we can cut the deck for the fuel tank and then get to work.

HighSpeedWelding
Mon May 19, 2014 8:37 pm
Here are some photos of the bracket build.

HighSpeedWelding
Mon May 19, 2014 8:42 pm
A few more.

HighSpeedWelding
Mon May 19, 2014 9:19 pm
Last set. Now its off to Live Wire Powder Coating..

wavescrash
Mon May 19, 2014 9:55 pm
Looks great  

GetdaGaff
Mon May 19, 2014 10:07 pm
Nice!! Good history ... have fun and memories ...  

bambam
Wed May 21, 2014 12:32 am
Thats sick dude. Great story and a beautiful boat. I cant wait to see that thing done. Would love to see her in person sometime, im in Wilmington quite often. I bet one of the nc fishing and outdoors publications would love to pick up that story, it is an excellent read, thanks for sharing!

Keep those pics coming, I cant get enough of these build threads!

Grouper Sandwich
Wed May 21, 2014 1:02 am
Awesome story and sweet ride!  

HighSpeedWelding
Wed May 20, 2015 9:12 pm
Well,

It's been almost a year since the last post. We were so busy getting the boat ready that we never had the time to post the rest of the pics.

We finished it. But unfortunately the boat wasn't designed for what we did. My granddad is known for giving each customer what they asked for. This boat wasn't originally designed for such a large bracket and a 150 hanging off the back.

The Saturday before last memorial day weekend, I launched the boat and took it for a cruise with some friends. Within about 2 hours, I noticed that the transom was starting to crack. It broke my heart. Hauled it out and evaluated the damage. It needed a new transom and reinforcements to keep it sturdy.

I had reached out to a company to fix it, unfortunately they didn't perform the work as requested and it had to be redone.

Half way through last summer, I realized that the boat needed about a months worth of work to be done. I only had 2 hours on the motor!! Anxious to use the boat, I reached out to a good friend, Beau Johnson with Johnson Custom Boats. We worked out a plan. We decided to "band aid" the transom, so the boat could be used to cruise the rest of the summer / fall. We did that and everything held up.

Around Thanksgiving we sectioned off about 1000 square foot of our shop and blocked up the boat for the winter. My dad came down and helped me rebuild the transom. We reinforced it by bringing up another bulkhead from the next floor joist. This would allow for ample support and could double as fish boxes. My dad had just taught me how to mix epoxy and lay fiberglass. I was excited and decided at that moment that I was gonna strip it to the stringers and redo it.

The boat was already in great shape, but I plan to own the boat for quite some time and wanted to make sure it would hold up in the long run. We de-rigged everything, took out the console, ripped up the deck, and started to sand. We did a lot of sanding..

I'll post some pictures and follow up with more details.

Enjoy!

HighSpeedWelding
Wed May 20, 2015 9:15 pm
Here's some shots of the cracked transom. The boat was designed for a 90 on scissor jack. The 150 hanging on the bracket was just too much for it to hold.

bambam
Wed May 20, 2015 9:25 pm
Wow. Keep the updates coming. That's a sweet boat.

HighSpeedWelding
Wed May 20, 2015 9:30 pm
At some point during the build, I lost my phone. There are a lot of photos missing of the fiberglass that was laid in the bilge. The first photo is without a doubt at her weakest moment. The point of no return...

HighSpeedWelding
Wed May 20, 2015 9:32 pm
From here you can see how we framed up around the fuel tank. We also modified the tank so it could slide it forward 8". The boat sat a little heavy in the rear, but should sit much better now.

The framework is also a reinforcement for the console. To the outside of that we blocked in a bunch of wood to give the T Top more than just the deck to screw into.

werewolf0711
Wed May 20, 2015 11:47 pm
I'm in to see the end of this. How was the powder coating holding up so far. I think I would have had to ship that to sarasota line x for him to lay line x down on it. Awesome story and great looking boat.

Did I miss the size of fuel tank?

Again awesome work and cant wait to see the finished project

Team Kraken
JB Custom Rods
Check US out on Facebook!
McAttacK Fishing Team

www.mcattackfishing.com

bambam
Wed May 20, 2015 11:49 pm
What's the beam, deadrise and weight of that beautiful girl.

Jump to: