Long Shot --- Need R22 Freon Fill 2-3lbs - SaltwaterCentral.Com

jwills132
Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:34 pm
I know this is a long shot but maybe someone can help me out. I need a few lbs of R22 Freon for my AC unit. Anyone know anyone that can help with this situation other then the rescue rooter thieves? They want 120-150 bucks a lb.....

located in Raleigh, nc

blackdiamond
Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:52 pm
Hate to tell you that’s the about right for COLD GOLD + service call
Be thankful it’s fall. Good luck on your hunt.

llessur2
Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:29 pm
That is awful high if it is just for the freon. If that includes the service call then not bad. Also make sure they use a scale to weigh in the r22. Without that they have no clue how much freon they put in. Over and under charging can also decrease performance of the system. If you need that much freon you have a leak, or unit was never charged properly.

jwills132
Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:05 pm
Man so those prices are normal? I know R22 is being phased out and everything but I can buy a 20lb bottle for 200 bucks. Wouldn't think the mark up was that high...

LLEssur2 - I have a bad evap coil. I charged up at the beginning of the summer and luckily made it to this past sunday...Thankful it is the fall so i'm not in that much of a rush. If I can't get any juice cheap i'll just wait for a good deal on a new system probably...

Btw - Choice Home warranty is the biggest scam on the market. The home warranty was transferred over to me when I bought the house and they don't cover a damn thing...They claimed the 14yr old system was covered then because there were spots of "rust" the warranty was all of a sudden voided...Pour lady before me had that warranty since she bought the system with them...They didn't seem to care in the slightest

MarlinManiac
Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:05 pm
They make a couple of drop in replacements for R-22 that don't require any system modifications. They do have to evacuate the remaining R-22 and then fill the system with the replacement. I had my system converted to R-422b, also called Nu-22. The refrigerant cost is minimal but it does take a service call to complete. You might want to ask your service contractor about changing.
They still make limited amounts of R-22 and I've seen 30 lb bottles on e-bay for as little as $200.00 (perhaps stolen), but I've heard that wholesale rates can be as high as $600.00 for that same bottle. You're supposed to be licensed to be able to buy it. I guess that doesn't apply to the resale market.

jwills132
Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:46 pm
Marlin - thanks for the heads up! I'll make sure to get a price on a swap as well  

tramac
Location: High Point, NC Carolina Beach, NC. On assignment Pascagoula, MS
Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:07 pm
pm sent give me a shout tomorrow  

Jump to: