Where to put bait pen - SaltwaterCentral.Com

thefisherman88
Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:34 pm
Where do you guys put your bait pens? I made a bait pen out of a 55 gallon drum and trying to figure out the best type area to put it. The goal is to keep pogies alive for a few days.

I have access to a dock in a canal but there isn't enough water at low tide, plus I feel like water temps and lack of current would be an issue.

I was thinking of putting the ICW somewhere, but don't know anyone with a dock or know a good way to anchor it. I've thought about putting bricks in the bottom and fully submerging it, but don't know how hard it would be to retrieve.

Suggestions?

werewolf0711
Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:43 pm
I don't think its a good idea to just put it out in the icw even anchored, etc. You need a friend that has a dock or somewhere you might could rent space to do so. Most people get slips or own them when it comes time to keep bait pinned up.

Team Kraken
JB Custom Rods
Check US out on Facebook!
McAttacK Fishing Team

www.mcattackfishing.com

23mako
Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:22 pm
Don't think you will keep pogies alive that long pinned up.  

werewolf0711
Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:41 pm
23mako wrote:

Unless there is a large amount of freshwater flowing through the area you have them pinned up it is easy to keep them alive for a week or longer. We always pen them up at the earliest time. We have kept them alive for longer than a few days

Team Kraken
JB Custom Rods
Check US out on Facebook!
McAttacK Fishing Team

www.mcattackfishing.com

amandagailfishingteam
Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:13 am
23mako wrote:

If your pin is big enough, they will live a long time. I have a 500 gal ag tank with holes drilled in it, a lot of holes and keep bait in it 6 to 8 months out of the year.
http://amandagailfishingteam.yolasite.com/EVINRUDE,Mr Tigger Tackle,Marks Marine,mrtiggertackle.yolasite.com,AMSOIL,Calusa, Mideast Appraisal Service,Eagle Claw, Truth Reels,South Chatham Tackle,BLUEWATER CANDY,Rapala, JB Custom Rods, SurfMonkey

thefisherman88
Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:52 am
[quote="amandagailfishingteam"]
23mako wrote:

If your pin is big enough, they will live a long time. I have a 500 gal ag tank with holes drilled in it, a lot of holes and keep bait in it 6 to 8 months out of the year.[/quote

Is it floating or submerged? If on the bottom, how do you get up?

amandagailfishingteam
Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:20 pm
I let it sink that way its cooler on the bait, I have it at a pole with a boat winch and raise it up to get the bait out.
http://amandagailfishingteam.yolasite.com/EVINRUDE,Mr Tigger Tackle,Marks Marine,mrtiggertackle.yolasite.com,AMSOIL,Calusa, Mideast Appraisal Service,Eagle Claw, Truth Reels,South Chatham Tackle,BLUEWATER CANDY,Rapala, JB Custom Rods, SurfMonkey

fish_bait
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:55 pm
I went out of Bonita Springs once with a guide. He stopped at a crab trap buoy and pulled up a big soft net bait pen and transferred a bunch of mullet into his live wells. Got a bunch of really nice cobia that day. The pen was located in a kind of narrow slot between two mangrove islands. It was pretty deep for SWFL and the tide moved thru pretty well. My point is, I guess, sink it with a crab buoy on top and you can keep it anywhere.

Also hooked into about 6 fish that I could not pull up. We even hooked two poles to a single hook and bait and the captain and I could not pull the fish in. What a great day.

https://baitbaskets.com

Jump to: