King Mack Recipe??? - SaltwaterCentral.Com

jasonafox
Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:58 pm
Anyone got a suggestion on how to cook a King Mack steak? I've been gifted some nice ones, and I've never cooked it before.  

Stimy
Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:05 pm
Zesty Italian dressing on them first while the grill heats up, once you put them on the grill, I add lawrys lemon pepper and chef Paul's seafood magic seasonings. I cook mine off the heat and fairly slow. I don't flip mine either. Just don't overcook it, although kings are still good if they are a little on the dry side. I'm cooking some right now for the third night in a row!!

wavescrash
Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:26 pm
Filet King mackerel, cook on grill on cedar plank.

Give fish to cat and eat cedar plank.

jasonafox
Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:32 pm
Stimy wrote:
Zesty Italian dressing on them first while the grill heats up, once you put them on the grill, I add lawrys lemon pepper and chef Paul's seafood magic seasonings. I cook mine off the heat and fairly slow. I don't flip mine either. Just don't overcook it, although kings are still good if they are a little on the dry side. I'm cooking some right now for the third night in a row!!

Thanks Stimy. Have you ever soaked it in Sprite?

Stimy
Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:40 pm
Never tried that one, but I have heard about soaking fish in soft drinks before. Kings are not an extremely firm fish, I would be a little hesitant about soaking them in anything, but that's just me.

23mako
Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:51 pm
Oil with olive oil and a little salt. Generously add Paul Prudhomme's Blackend redfish seasoning on the side with no skin. Get charcoal nice and hot but also oil the grate before. Cook it on the grill and flip midway through. Delicious.  

jasonafox
Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:20 am
23mako wrote:
Oil with olive oil and a little salt. Generously add Paul Prudhomme's Blackend redfish seasoning on the side with no skin. Get charcoal nice and hot but also oil the grate before. Cook it on the grill and flip midway through. Delicious.

That's how I do redfish. Thanks for the tips gentlemen.

chumbucket
Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:20 am
smoker
Onslow Bay 27

https://www.facebook.com/chum.bucket.90857

bjsc21
Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:42 am
I soak mine in milk for 24 hrs. Seems to help with the strong taste. Very good fresh.  

spanishking
Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:09 am
Use a brine of salt and brown sugar, soak in brine for 2 hours, then smoke until done. It is great.  

Newsaltfishing1
Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:17 am
Step 1: Marinate said King in your favorite marinade/seasonings overnight.

Step 2: Throw that thing in the trash and go to Food Lion and buy a pack of hot dogs, then you'll have something worth eating!

Sorry....couldn't resist. King Mack is the ONE fish that I have tried that I just don't like.....anything about it.

jasonafox
Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:32 pm
I have 4 nice steaks. I'll do each one a different way and let y'all know how it turns out.  

Pucker
Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:50 pm
Soak in buttermilk and Texas Pete and lotsee of Texas pete. House Autry medium hot broader or hot breader your preference. Bread once dip back into milk and Pete bread again and drop it into some oil preferable deep fryer. Or deep cast iron pan. Keep in mind this is for King mack nuggets

BottomDollar2
Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:29 pm
Steak the kings.
cut quarters / nuggets out from skin and bones when ready to eat.
marinate in zesty Italian dressing with s little teriyaki and grill on hot charcoal grill.

Nuggets soaked in beer dredged in house Surry mildly hot and deep fried is good too.

Key is to cut out skin bones and dark / redish meat

BarnacleBill
Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:33 pm
They are also good with a tomato based Bar-B-Q sauce. I like my a little on the spicy side.

rodhog
Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:08 am
Try this! King-Que, Boil fillet meat for about 15-20 minutes in Old Bay. Dump into a colander, strain water well, press it out if need be. Place into bowl and add your vinegar based BBQ sauce or Georges BBQ sauce, and any spices you prefer, stir it up and enjoy. When boiling the meat it turns a nice white, the oiliness boils out and its stomp down good. I guarantee you'll eat at least to bowls.

zigzag
Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:11 am
wavescrash wrote:
Filet King mackerel, cook on grill on cedar plank.

Give fish to cat and eat cedar plank.

this is mostly the recipe I see for them hail

funsizefishing
Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:15 am
Let me know where y'all throw them out at. I'll eat them  

LookinToHookem
Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:00 am
rodhog wrote:
Try this! King-Que, Boil fillet meat for about 15-20 minutes in Old Bay. Dump into a colander, strain water well, press it out if need be. Place into bowl and add your vinegar based BBQ sauce or Georges BBQ sauce, and any spices you prefer, stir it up and enjoy. When boiling the meat it turns a nice white, the oiliness boils out and its stomp down good. I guarantee you'll eat at least to bowls.

Georges BBQ Sauce...where you from, Wilson County??? lol

I may keep a King now and try that with Scotts BBQ sauce. wtg

(you know about that kind too don't you!) lol lol lol

www.militaryappreciationday.org

rodhog
Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:51 am
LookinToHookem wrote:
rodhog wrote:

Georges BBQ Sauce...where you from, Wilson County??? lol

I may keep a King now and try that with Scotts BBQ sauce. wtg

I'm just across the line near Green Pond/Nash County. Georges was and still is made right out of Nashville. Good stuff. $9.95 A Gal at Freds, or $2.95 a pint at Food Lion. roll

(you know about that kind too don't you!) lol lol lol

blueoceaneyez
Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:56 am
Make King Mackerel Dip...... same recipes as smoked tuna dip, except use King meat. Dip with pita chips.
Online: www.SecondWindFishing.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/SecondWindFishing
Instagram: www.instagram.com/capt.amanda.king

jasonafox
Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:29 pm
blueoceaneyez wrote:
Make King Mackerel Dip...... same recipes as smoked tuna dip, except use King meat. Dip with pita chips.

Love some fish or crab dip! Thanks for the great recipes everyone. I'll be cooking some king tomorrow, watching some football, and marinating my liver!

jasonafox
Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:54 am
So....
I took two or four of you guys recommendations, and man did this stuff turn out delicious! I took the steaks and made nuggets out of them by cutting out the bones, skin, and darkest meat. Then I marinated the nuggets in Zesty Italian dressing for about 10 hours, and smoked it on my charcoal grill with some of the new Kingsford Applewood charcoal. We ended up eating about half of it before it ever got to the table. Not gamey at all.

I took the other half, mixed with 8 oz. of cream cheese, a handful of fresh chopped chives, and put it in a meatloaf pan. Covered with grated parmesan, a sprinkle of old bay, and baked about 15 minutes at 350. Served with bagel and pita chips, and it was gone in minutes!!

Thanks for all the advice. King Mack done correctly can be delicious, so don't believe the naysayers.

NCLandBroker
Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:33 pm
I don't eat the larger kings. Too oily and I don't like the taste, and then there's the mercury content.

However, the ones under 15 pounds can be tasty. My favorite way to prepare them is to filet them, then cut them up into nuggets and fry them. Instead of breading them with buttermilk or beer, I use spicy brown mustard as a the breading medium. Makes for a tasty king mackerel fry indeed.

If doing steaks on the grill, I like to do Italian dressing followed with your choice of rub. It takes a bit of practice to get it exactly right, but you want to cook them on medium to high heat, only flipping them once, until you can cut one of the steaks with a fork and it will easily separate, with the white meat on the inside having just barely a moist sheen to it when cut with, not across, the grain. Those who have cooked a lot of wahoo or kingfish steaks know what I'm talking about.

pogieye
Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:23 am
NCLandBroker wrote:
I don't eat the larger kings. Too oily and I don't like the taste, and then there's the mercury content.

However, the ones under 15 pounds can be tasty. My favorite way to prepare them is to filet them, then cut them up into nuggets and fry them. Instead of breading them with buttermilk or beer, I use spicy brown mustard as a the breading medium. Makes for a tasty king mackerel fry indeed.

If doing steaks on the grill, I like to do Italian dressing followed with your choice of rub. It takes a bit of practice to get it exactly right, but you want to cook them on medium to high heat, only flipping them once, until you can cut one of the steaks with a fork and it will easily separate, with the white meat on the inside having just barely a moist sheen to it when cut with, not across, the grain. Those who have cooked a lot of wahoo or kingfish steaks know what I'm talking about.

Bilzo
Mon May 23, 2016 8:57 pm
We got a bunch in the 20-30 lb range last December. Brought them home - ate on them a couple nights - gave some to friends and co-workers. DID NOT FREEZE ANY!

I honestly cooked it just like a tuna steak. Seared the edges - left the inside raw. A little ginger and soy sauce. Like butta.

Key with the mackerel is eat it fresh and don't freeze it.

Mppheel
Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:48 pm
Caught a king and a mahi on Thursday. Just grilled some of both and the king actually taste as good or better than the mahi. King soaked in milk for 3 hours and then in Italian dressing for and hour then sprinkled with seafood magic. Mahi was done standard with miscellaneous spices

2008 Sea Hunt Triton 240
2000 Robalo 2120

GetdaGaff
Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:42 pm
Noteworthy thread with 26 tips how to prepare this protein ... every tip includes doing/adding something in preparation ... roll nuff said .... sure wish Spots were running ...  

Jump to: