red snapper season - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Goto page 1, 2  Next

usmc0651
Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:23 pm
im not one to moan and complain.... HOWEVER (lol) why do the rec guys get two weekends and the commercial guy gets two months? wall wall wall  

gshivar
Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:36 pm
So, hopefully those of us that do not have means to catch our own might have the chance to buy some in a local fish market!!!!
+

rockhound
Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:47 pm
usmc0651 wrote:
im not one to moan and complain.... HOWEVER (lol) why do the rec guys get two weekends and the commercial guy gets two months? wall wall wall

Haven't seen that,Thats a load of s*&t,2 months?Whats the weight cap?

ChrisMcCaffity
Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:00 pm
"THE REGULATIONS DURING THE LIMITED SEASONS ARE:
For the recreational sector, the bag limit is one red snapper per person per day. This applies to private and charterboat/headboat vessels (the captain and crew on for-hire vessels may retain the recreational bag limit).
For the commercial sector, the trip limit is 75 pounds gutted weight.
There are no minimum size limits for the recreational and commercial sectors.
The recreational and commercial catch limits are 29,656 fish and 124,815 pounds whole weight, respectively."

The council is using roughly a 10 pound average weight per fish this year so recs get almost 300,000 pounds of snapper while consumers get 124,815 pounds.

fishangel
Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:29 pm
ChrisMcCaffity wrote:
For the recreational sector, the bag limit is one red snapper per person per day. This applies to private and charterboat/headboat vessels (the captain and crew on for-hire vessels may retain the recreational bag limit).
The recreational and commercial catch limits are 29,656 fish and 124,815 pounds whole weight, respectively."

The council is using roughly a 10 pound average weight per fish this year so recs get almost 300,000 pounds of snapper while consumers get 124,815 pounds.

Except for that weather thing!! The Rec will get 2 maybe 3 days of fishable weather out of six, the commercials will get their lb limit and the recs will not even be close.

kicker30
Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:51 pm
fishangel wrote:
ChrisMcCaffity wrote:

Except for that weather thing!! The Rec will get 2 maybe 3 days of fishable weather out of six, the commercials will get their lb limit and the recs will not even be close.

And if there is a public comment period about a season for next year we ALL need to remind them of that so that they hopefully do not hold that uncaught portion against the rec side in setting future allocations and give the remaining portion to the commercial side. We really ALL need to remind them of it when final numbers are in for this season regardless of where there is a cement period and then again later as well.

ChrisMcCaffity
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:15 am
kicker30 wrote:
fishangel wrote:
ChrisMcCaffity wrote:

And if there is a public comment period about a season for next year we ALL need to remind them of that so that they hopefully do not hold that uncaught portion against the rec side in setting future allocations and give the remaining portion to the commercial side. We really ALL need to remind them of it when final numbers are in for this season regardless of where there is a cement period and then again later as well.

The problem for recs is a lack of accurate landings data. That is also why consumers have not been able to eat east coast Red Snapper for several years. Consumers and commercial fishermen have been punished for bad data on the rec side. Recs need to think about how to get better landings data and include that in your public comments. Did anyone report there Red Snapper catch on the website that was set up to collect rec landings data?

windknotnc
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:34 pm
We fished Friday and Sunday in two different areas where we have been having RS bycatch and couldn't get a bite. Fished 100-120' of water and landed plenty of triggers, bliners, and bsb but no RS or Grouper. It really stinks to have to leave places because of RS you cannot keep, and when we get a season they have disappeared. It makes me wonder is these spots were hit before us by commercials. Anyone else have any luck out of Beaufort Inlet?  

BottomDollar2
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:29 pm
I'm commercial and I basically had the same luck.
Some days you just can't get on your target.
I left 3# bass and nice trigger two every drop to go catch RS, guess how that worked out for me, haha...

PurpleGold
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:34 pm
ChrisMcCaffity wrote:
Recs need to think about how to get better landings data

I’m sorry but it is not the job of “Recs” to “think about how to get better landing data”...

It is, however, the PAID job of the SAFMC!!!!!

If they wanted better data.... they would have it.

chumbucket
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:40 pm
Chris- I did not know there was such a website to report recreational red snapper bycatch. I assume this is the correct link https://www.myfishcount.com/
I'll be using moving forward. I cacth them frequently
Onslow Bay 27

https://www.facebook.com/chum.bucket.90857

glacierbaze
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:49 pm
Are charter boats and head boats, that are not fishing commercially, restricted to rec weekends only?  

jdunk
Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:17 pm
I fished out of beaufort we caught our two man limit in 3 drops one 20lber.... 80-90ft is where they were friday. caught 5 and moved somewhere else....  

ChrisMcCaffity
Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:40 am
PurpleGold wrote:
ChrisMcCaffity wrote:
Recs need to think about how to get better landings data

I’m sorry but it is not the job of “Recs” to “think about how to get better landing data”...

It is, however, the PAID job of the SAFMC!!!!!

If they wanted better data.... they would have it.

The council asks for our ideas in public comments. It seems as if most people would rather complain about what the council does or doesn't do than think about ways to make it better for everyone and the resource. Do you like the idea of a federal fishing license for recs or catch shares for charters that leaves private anglers with shorter seasons? Now is the time to think about solutions like checking a box on state fishing licenses saying you fish in federal waters and voluntarily reporting your catch. Waiting for government officials to think for you will only give you more to complain about.

chumbucket, the council just set up that site. How recs use it will influence future openings and data collection methods. Voluntary reporting would reduce the need for other data collection laws and assumptions that lead to unnecessarily short derby fisheries.

glacierbaze, charter and head boats are restricted to the recreational openings.

jdunk, please report your catch at this link. https://www.myfishcount.com/

kicker30
Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:30 pm
ChrisMcCaffity wrote:
kicker30 wrote:
fishangel wrote:
ChrisMcCaffity wrote:

The problem for recs is a lack of accurate landings data. That is also why consumers have not been able to eat east coast Red Snapper for several years. Consumers and commercial fishermen have been punished for bad data on the rec side. Recs need to think about how to get better landings data and include that in your public comments. Did anyone report there Red Snapper catch on the website that was set up to collect rec landings data?

I think you misinterpreted my point. I was simply stating that regardless of how it is reported, there will be what appears to be a low rec harvest due to bad weather preventing a lot of people from being able to fish that otherwise would have. Further, to avoid the bad weather causing it to look like either a lack of interest, lack of available fish to catch or general lack of success at catching them from the rec side compared to what will most likely be a very successful commercial harvest due to their lengthy season causing the commission to revise the allocations in the future to give more to the commercial and less to the rec side. In the case of only having 6 days over 2 weekends for recreational fishermen to fish, there is a very good chance that the weather will keep a huge portion of the folks that would normally catch some from even being able to leave the inlet, while the commercial guys have 2 months to fill a much smaller quota, so I have a feeling the final numbers are going to show what could be construed as a lack of interest or success on the rec side.

seapro180
Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:19 pm
To get away from the weather issue or any other reason the recs can't get out on the 2 weekends, it would be easier to alot permits and draw for "tags" so to speak like is setup for deer and duck hunting in places. once you get your permit, you can fish for them any day you want. When you catch your allotted amount your done. Sounds simple to me. Although finding a simple solution and complicating it is the government's job...

jdunk
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:54 pm
I reported the catches Chris, Thanks for the link  

ChrisMcCaffity
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:47 am
jdunk, thanks for reporting! Hope it helps you get another weekend or two this year and a longer season next year.

seapro180, good idea with a proven record of success. Do you think the tags should be nontransferable? Should there be a reporting requirement?

kicker30, I understood your point about future allocation issues. My point is that regardless of what the rec data shows, it is questionable at best. Low landings during your two weekends of bad weather should result in another weekend or two during December. It would be helpful if recs politely pointed this out to council.

paynefish
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:04 am
windknotnc wrote:
We fished Friday and Sunday in two different areas where we have been having RS bycatch and couldn't get a bite. Fished 100-120' of water and landed plenty of triggers, bliners, and bsb but no RS or Grouper. It really stinks to have to leave places because of RS you cannot keep, and when we get a season they have disappeared. It makes me wonder is these spots were hit before us by commercials. Anyone else have any luck out of Beaufort Inlet?

We headed out Friday to a spot in 105' that normally produces RS. We caught 1 all day, weighed about 15 lbs. BSB and Triggers were on fire though!! Was happy to have him, but had really hoped to get our limit. Saturday was a no go for us with the wind. Boat much larger than ours Saturday at the marina said it took him 2.5 hours to return from NW Places. He looked like he had taken an ass whooping when he got in, which made me feel much better about our decision.

seapro180
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:05 am
Chris- absolutely they should be transferable. Why not? Everyone who buys a fishing license or hunting license is assigned a number. A simple sentence on the permit that states something to the effect of "i_______ hereby forfeit and release my ARS permit to _______ on the date of ______.

Signed (original permit holder) __________. License#___________

Signed (new permit holder) __________. License#_____________

This way someone can use them to get the numbers they want to see. After all, numbers are what they are after. Who cares if Bob uses the permit to get them or if Joe uses it. The outcome is the same.

As for reporting, absolutely. Every deer harvested is reported. An average of waterfowl taken is reported so why not ARS.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. Just like the decrease in flounder limits, the BS Cobia regs they threw at us etc with these ghost numbers NOBODY can give an answer to where the recs landings come from because I nor anyone I know has ever reported catches of any of them. A few simple questions to fill about about the species in concern such as how many and average weight before you are able to get your fishing license would give them actuals numbers. Alot better data than they are getting now. It would be just like the hip cert for hunting and just as easy. It amazes me how such simple solutions can be so damn complicated! Makes me even wonder why I chose to go in to the fish and wildlife field.

kicker30
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:54 am
seapro180 wrote:
Chris- absolutely they should be transferable. Why not? Everyone who buys a fishing license or hunting license is assigned a number. A simple sentence on the permit that states something to the effect of "i_______ hereby forfeit and release my ARS permit to _______ on the date of ______.

Signed (original permit holder) __________. License#___________

Signed (new permit holder) __________. License#_____________

This way someone can use them to get the numbers they want to see. After all, numbers are what they are after. Who cares if Bob uses the permit to get them or if Joe uses it. The outcome is the same.

As for reporting, absolutely. Every deer harvested is reported. An average of waterfowl taken is reported so why not ARS.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. Just like the decrease in flounder limits, the BS Cobia regs they threw at us etc with these ghost numbers NOBODY can give an answer to where the recs landings come from because I nor anyone I know has ever reported catches of any of them. A few simple questions to fill about about the species in concern such as how many and average weight before you are able to get your fishing license would give them actuals numbers. Alot better data than they are getting now. It would be just like the hip cert for hunting and just as easy. It amazes me how such simple solutions can be so damn complicated! Makes me even wonder why I chose to go in to the fish and wildlife field.

Or for even better and up to date numbers just take the same big game reporting system NCWRC uses and use it for the fish too. When you buy your license you get a report card or set of tags for the species in question and each time you harvest one you call it in when you get back to land. It literally could be a copy of the exact same reporting system and just change the species and who gets the data sent to them.

paynefish
Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:26 am
Chris, thank you for your efforts to improve the fishery. You seem to be on top of things and you keep us in the loop.

ChrisMcCaffity
Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:52 am
Thank you paynefish. Our fisheries, freedom, and food supply are important to me.

I can see some pros and cons to making tags transferable. One of the cons could be people getting tags just to sell. Are hunting tags transferable? Not saying I am opposed to transfers at this point, just thinking about the possibilities. I hope you guys will come up with a reporting plan some other fishermen can support and present it at the December SAFMC meeting. You can also submit comments online before the meeting. It makes a huge difference when multiple people publicly support something similar. The council is going to do something on rec reporting soon, now is the time to think about what you would like them to do and ask for it.

seapro180
Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:15 am
ChrisMcCaffity wrote:
Thank you paynefish. Our fisheries, freedom, and food supply are important to me.

I can see some pros and cons to making tags transferable. One of the cons could be people getting tags just to sell. Are hunting tags transferable? Not saying I am opposed to transfers at this point, just thinking about the possibilities. I hope you guys will come up with a reporting plan some other fishermen can support and present it at the December SAFMC meeting. You can also submit comments online before the meeting. It makes a huge difference when multiple people publicly support something similar. The council is going to do something on rec reporting soon, now is the time to think about what you would like them to do and ask for it.

rdnkvet
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:05 am
What if a tag is acquired for the boat, especially if a lottery is required to assign tags (much like special permit hunts) instead of the individual? That way the boat owner would handle the reporting instead of several individuals reporting one fish each (assuming that remains the daily bag limit). In addition, you wouldn't have to round up several people that acquired a tag to go fishing for the species. I think someone that cares enough to go through the process to acquire a tag would be more likely to report the catch.  

seapro180
Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:41 pm
ChrisMcCaffity wrote:

Your exactly right. There are cons. But what option when dealing with anything doesn't have pros and cons? There are cons with every decision one makes but the deciding factor is when the cons don't outweigh the pros. In this instance, the reward would be actual numbers. TRUE DATA. So with the con of being, someone getting tags just to sell them...it doesn't matter. Who cares if the original holder used it, or if he couldn't go and gave it to a friend who used it, or if he sold it to someone he never met. No matter who uses it, the reward is still the same. FACTUAL DATA. If seasons and strict creel limits need to be in place because of a decline in the population of certain species, fine. I don't and I'm sure nobody else would be against it to ensure future fishing of the species. But what I and others are PISSED about are the numbers and data used to determine this. There is absolutely no factual and true evidence that supports recs take of our fisheries. Where are the ghost numbers coming from??????? So whether someone sells their permit, gives it away, or uses it themselves, the outcome is still the same...Actual numbers and data with credibility. Here is a scenario:

Let's say for easy math that 100 permits are issued to harvest ARS. Each permit is allowed 5 fish.

Scenario 1) Bob is issued a permit which has an ID number. Let's say it's number 065. (Since there is only 100 permits). Bob fishes on the days he can and fills his 5 fish limit.

Next season before he is allowed to buy his fishing license, Bob must fill out a HIP just as he would for hunting except in this case it's for the fisheries. So we will call it FIP (Fisheries Information Program). He will be asked a series of questions about all species of concern. In this case red snapper. Some of the questions would be:

Did you catch any ARS during the 2017-2018 season? Yes.
Did you use a permit to harvest ARS? Yes
If yes to above, what was the permit number? 065
How many did you harvest from the permit? 5
How many ARS did you catch in total including released fish during the 2017-2018 season? 40. (This would be a close estimate)

Scenario 2) Bob is issued a permit which has an ID number. Let's say it's number 065. (Since there is only 100 permits). Something comes up and Bob can't use his permit. So he gives or sells his permit to his friend Fred. He and Fred both sign and date the permit.

Notice how the questions are asked. The permit is not directly correlated to one specific individual. That's why the permit has a number.

Now next season before Bob and Fred can obtain their fishing license, they must fill out a FIP.

Did you catch any ARS during the 2017-2018 season? Bob answers no. Fred answers yes.
Did you use a permit to harvest ARS? Bob answers no. Fred answers yes
If yes to above, what was the permit number? Fred enters permit number 065. Bob leaves blank.
How many did you harvest from the permit? 5
How many ARS did you catch in total including released fish during the 2017-2018 season? Bob answers 0 Fred answers 25. (This would be a close estimate)

Scenario 3) George didn't receive a permit for ARS because he didn't apply for one.

Next season, George has to fill out a FIP before he can receive his fishing license.

Did you catch any ARS during the 2017-2018 season? Yes.
Did you use a permit to harvest ARS? No
If yes to above, what was the permit number? Does not apply
How many did you harvest from the permit? None
How many ARS did you catch in total including released fish during the 2017-2018 season? 50. (This would be a close estimate)

Now...notice that it didn't matter who had the permit, factual and accurate data was collected. Even those that didn't get a permit, still contribute to population estimates by giving the number of fish they caught. If these numbers stay the same and even increase, we know we have a healthy population and can look at upping the limits/days etc. If these numbers start to decline, we know that restrictions need to be put in place. I would be okay with it. Even closures if that's what is needed based on the ACTUAL numbers collected. There is at least a base this way. This isn't like the current ghost data that just appears because of what someone thinks. These would be concrete

Sorry for the lengthy post. Just thought I would share how simple and efficient a solution could be to not only ARS but other species as well such as flounder, Cobia, etc. As stated before. Just leave it to the big wigs to find something simple and complicate it...

rdnkvet
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:58 pm
I like it  

ChrisMcCaffity
Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:40 am
seapro180, you have put some thought into this. My concern is that those with less than honorable intentions could turn it into a catch share scheme. A final plan would need to take that into consideration and include safeguards against it. You also want to make sure NGOs can't buy thousands of tags to prevent harvest.

Please don't take this as criticism. Your solution makes sense for the situation. I am just pointing out some things to be aware of so your good idea isn't corrupted.

seapro180
Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:07 am
ChrisMcCaffity wrote:
seapro180, you have put some thought into this. My concern is that those with less than honorable intentions could turn it into a catch share scheme. A final plan would need to take that into consideration and include safeguards against it. You also want to make sure NGOs can't buy thousands of tags to prevent harvest.

Please don't take this as criticism. Your solution makes sense for the situation. I am just pointing out some things to be aware of so your good idea isn't corrupted.

You make some good points. I am open to criticism though. That is how problems get solved! I'll have to do some thinking on the matter to see what I can come up with. anyone else have any thought as to safeguards???

Squid Row
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:06 pm
ChrisMcCaffity wrote:

That is what I was thinking too

The NGO groups have more seats at the table than the rec fishermen do.

On the other hand, if every fishing license holder got say 5 tags per year and there is a fee to get them, what is wrong with being able to transfer or sell them since most recs would not even go after ARS? Don't all states now have a rec fishing license? I am sure the feds would just create a new license / permit/ stamp like they did for tuna and HMS.

This is a tough one...

Flounder Pounder II - 16 Sandpiper Skiff, 40 HP Yamaha

Jump to: