friday post dorian - SaltwaterCentral.Com

tireman
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:30 pm
hope you guys made it safe through the storm looks like this will be a yearly thing wonder if the dmf could shut down hurricane season like flounder?

stevehes
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:48 pm
All seems good in CB close to me (St. Joseph Street), have not ventured out much yet.
Winds got to ~50% of the forecasted strength per my weather station at the dock, no noticeable storm surge at last nights high here. Wind shifted early.
Lots of small limbs down, a few arm sized branches.
Docks took a beating with the east wind, lost billets but they were not in the best of shape pre storm.
Never lost power all night.
Half the islands pine needles are in the boat.....

Contender 25 200 Verados
Contender 23 - SOLD

Timorjc
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:55 pm
Minor limbs and flooding in Rocky Point. Nothing major. I have been running relief supplies to those without water and bringing my generators around to keep freezers going for those without power. Figured I need to stop to eat breakfast since its 2pm. Hope all on SWC are well.  

KatfishKayak
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:29 pm
Made a lot of noise out here in the Duplin county boondocks, but not much to speak of around the house. Power lasted through the whole storm, then went out at 05:30. Still out. Go figure.
Canyon Wren - Parker 2320 SC - 300hp Yamaha

ShockTreatment
Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:27 pm
To me this is a problem. The news talked about how bad this storm was gonna be and then it turns out not to be so bad. Sure there was some damage but not like it could have been. Every storm is gonna be bad and then turns out it wasn't so bad. What is happening is folks have stayed through these storms and get a little damage and continue to stay through each storm. One of these days the folks are gonna stay and the storm will that time be very bad and then folks will die. Just look at what happened at Ocracoke. About 800 people stayed and are now some are begging to be taken off the island because of the flooding. Folks just need to understand these storms can be deadly and they need to take precautions. I am sure I will take some crap over people have a right to do what they want and that is okay just understand what can happen and if they stay don't depend on the first responders to come bail them out and put themselves in harms way. Thankful that folks didn't lose their lives like what happened in the Bahamas. Damage to property can be fixed, I understand it can take a year or more, but it can be fixed.  

fishing-misfit
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:06 pm
ShockTreatment wrote:
To me this is a problem. The news talked about how bad this storm was gonna be and then it turns out not to be so bad. Sure there was some damage but not like it could have been. Every storm is gonna be bad and then turns out it wasn't so bad. What is happening is folks have stayed through these storms and get a little damage and continue to stay through each storm. One of these days the folks are gonna stay and the storm will that time be very bad and then folks will die. Just look at what happened at Ocracoke. About 800 people stayed and are now some are begging to be taken off the island because of the flooding. Folks just need to understand these storms can be deadly and they need to take precautions. I am sure I will take some crap over people have a right to do what they want and that is okay just understand what can happen and if they stay don't depend on the first responders to come bail them out and put themselves in harms way. Thankful that folks didn't lose their lives like what happened in the Bahamas. Damage to property can be fixed, I understand it can take a year or more, but it can be fixed.

Staying on an island during a hurricane??? I understand people not wanting to leave, I didn't want to leave our house last year during the hurricane but we did. The property means nothing compared to taking a chance on losing a life.
My Wife and I pretty much look at it as, forecast Cat 4 or 5 direct impact, we are leaving.

Jump to: