Let's talk yellow fin - SaltwaterCentral.Com

cantgitright
Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:50 am
Give me your idea of what happened to them down "our way" southeastern NC to Charlestown?We go up and fish with my buddy in Hatteras a few times a year and catch our share but I always hear those guys up there and my cousin in Charlestown talk about how they used to catch em down our way? Wonder what happened to em?  

wavescrash
Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:51 am
Migration patterns changed for whatever reason. I think they still are out there, just on the other side of the stream  

cantgitright
Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:21 am
Defiantly with ya on the migration pattern crash, just wondering what changed from back then to now?  

bigfishhooker
Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:25 am
Less fish due to long lining off other areas that contributed to our run.

15 yr old rut now south of MHC.

cantgitright
Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:43 am
I'm not educated enough on the long line "school" me. I have caught em in the keys and around Hatteras, what area are they being cut off at for us not to catch em here anymore?  

Angelescrest
Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:47 am
My grandfather fished out of MHC extensively in the late 80s and early 90s, and they always caught a lot of them. You'll see one or two pop up at the big rock tourney but south of frying pan shoals they must be 100nm out, where no sane person goes  

Timorjc
Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:18 am
Same fish that we used to get are devastated off West Africa. Combine that with a 100 year shift in the West Abaco Current and no more YFT.  

AB1620
Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:29 pm
There have been a few caught off of MHC the last 2 years. The best bite last year was a school that came through in April. They caught them a couple days in a row on on an eddy that slowly worked north. There was one day where a group of boats went up North that knew where they eddy was and they all had 5 to 6 YFT, 5 or 6 Wahoo, and probably 20 dolphin a piece. Of course we went south that day due to no SST from cloud cover and almost got skunked. It's amazing what finding the right water will do.  

kmac
Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:26 pm
The last ones we caught any was probably in 2004 in March. We made a trip every March for 6 or 8 years after that and never caught another one. Its so awesome to run into those guys and have 5 or 6 lines scream off. I have heard of a few on the radio being caught the last few years in April and May so I guess that's a good sign that maybe they will show back up in greater numbers at some point.  

pin
Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:06 pm
Timorjc wrote:
Same fish that we used to get are devastated off West Africa. Combine that with a 100 year shift in the West Abaco Current and no more YFT.

The way that this current runs now push's the nutrient rich water out to the far side of the stream near NC/SC area then the nutrients start to move closer to shore after passing Long Bay and Frying Pan shoals. When the current was on the other side of the Abacos we had the yellow fin down here and in numbers. It has been over 10 years that this has been like this and waiting for the Abacos current to switch so that we get them back here.
33\' Sportfisher, Oak Island, NC

Bilzo
Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:08 pm
I don't understand why this migration pattern hasn't affected dolphin but does YFT? Plenty of dolphin around.  

weekend-hooker
Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:00 pm
Defiantly has changed, 2003 or 2004 can't remember...we smoked the yft 15 miles east of the bjh since then haven't even heard of one other than a stray...would love to do some east side fishing...  

Timorjc
Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:52 pm
Bilzo wrote:
I don't understand why this migration pattern hasn't affected dolphin but does YFT? Plenty of dolphin around.

"Our" Mahi spawn in the Bahamas and South Florida and make a migration of around 6800 miles round trip.

"Our" Yellowfin spawn off of West Africa and make a migration of around 28,000 miles round trip.

It is the difference between migratory and "highly" migratory. Mahi wander around looking for food. YFT move fast and with a purpose and eat along the way.

Tim

Bilzo
Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:39 pm
Tim - where do you get those paths? There's a big difference between 6800 miles and 28000 (4X) miles for two warm water gamefish that stay in one ocean basin. I'd love to see what the research indicates for a path.  

wavescrash
Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:04 am
Bilzo wrote:
Tim - where do you get those paths? There's a big difference between 6800 miles and 28000 (4X) miles for two warm water gamefish that stay in one ocean basin. I'd love to see what the research indicates for a path.

It's a lot farther across the ocean than up from the Bahamas :)

aftergolf
Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:23 am
The other major issue the YFs face is the huge amount of nets off the African coast that has decimated a great deal of the YF population.

cantgitright
Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:58 am
Not saying that don't knock a dent in them golf, but we still catch them north and south of us so I wouldn't think that is the cause for them not to be coming within 100 miles of us "south eastern N.C"..  

Capt_Rich
Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:59 am
The yftcaught off W Africa avg under 8kg not big enough to spawn and they catch the majority of them with the bait boat/pitch pole method. Once they get on a school they can hand it off to another bait boat for up to 2 months. 80k# a boat in a week and they just keep hammering.
Interesting article below the eye study
http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/pfrp/newsletters/July-Sept2001.pdf

wavescrash
Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:10 am
cantgitright wrote:
Not saying that don't knock a dent in them golf, but we still catch them north and south of us so I wouldn't think that is the cause for them not to be coming within 100 miles of us "south eastern N.C"..

Different populations, the only places south of us they catch them is south Florida and the Caribbean, south Florida they run to the "other side" of the Gulf Stream, but because it is south Florida that means 60 miles or so instead of a hundred. Remember in South Florida the Gulf Stream runs in sight of land at times. 500 ft 10 miles off the beach.

cantgitright
Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:07 pm
Yeah im with ya crash on the stream being a lot closer in Fl. We have a place in Ft pierce and catch em down there and out of hatteras , but what I was wondering was are the fish we catch in Fl. the same schools we catch up north? Or two different schools?  

wavescrash
Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:16 pm
cantgitright wrote:
Yeah im with ya crash on the stream being a lot closer in Fl. We have a place in Ft pierce and catch em down there and out of hatteras , but what I was wondering was are the fish we catch in Fl. the same schools we catch up north? Or two different schools?

Two different populations, is my understanding

cantgitright
Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:18 pm
Gotcha, thanks  

wavescrash
Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:27 pm
NC, and Cape Hatteras area in particular, is a meeting point for lots of different fish/populations/migration patterns  

Jump to: