TOURNAMENT ISSUES TO COME - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Xplosive
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:04 am
Ok folks, writing this to hopefully provide a little clarity and bring up some thoughts on the kingfish tourney's over the next 4 weeks. This is what we know so far...

- SKA events Shallotte Point and South Brunswick King Classic have been combined into one weekend (Thursday 10/25 is the Captains meeting for both tourneys, Friday 10/26 is the one day fish for the Shallotte Point event and Saturday 10/27 is the one day fish for the South Brunswick King Classic, and I think Sunday is a back up if needed)

$375 is the basic entry for EACH of those two events listed above

These are the final 2 events for the SKA qualifiers to the Nationals to be held in Morehead City Nov 8 - 11.

- Kingfish Cup qualifier cancelled the Fall Brawl this past weekend and shifted the tournament to the same weekend (10/26 - 10/28) as the SKA event...it is a Captains choice event where you can fish Saturday or Sunday, but not both.

$250 is the basic entry to this event

This is one of two remaining events to qualify for the Kingfish Cup Championship in Ocracoke Nov 1 - 4.

So in theory you could dish out $1000 to fish all three tournaments that weekend. And there is nothing in any of the rules stating you cannot. It appears you could actually weigh in fish at both events on Saturday if you didn't fish Sunday. Obviously you couldn't use the same fish for both.

Now for the dilemma...

- this weekend weather is not looking good at all for the Kingfish Cup "Rumble in the Jungle" out of Little River. If the weather holds as is this event will most likely be cancelled also and shifted somewhere (which is confusing as to where in the schedule it could go). Because unless they cram that on in on the same weekend as the other 3, there is no way to fairly allow the participating fisherman in trying to qualify for the final championship events in Nov. Because they are just plain out of weekends.

LORD forbid the weekend of the 26, 27, 28 are bad weather...cause then we have a problem across the board. There is a lot of money involved in these events and a lot of money invested from participants. Tens of thousands of dollars at stake and there are going to be some really pissed off folks if you just start changing the written rules to accommodate schedules.

OPTIONS...don't see many options...and the bad part about it is I don't see in any of the published rules for either the SKA or Kingfish Cups about how they will handle the loss of multiple qualifying events. Lets hope it doesn't come to that and lets hope both entities (SKA and Kingfish Cup) consider what's at stake here and get busy publishing what the contingency plan is for loss of events.

Unfortunately the worse has happened and everything was scheduled with not much room if any for movement of events before the championship weekends for both SKA and Kingfish Cup. I am by no means the sharpest tool in the shed, but if we as fisherman enjoy participating in all these events and support these events, we are owed better communication, planning and scheduling out of both parties. My loyalty and perception only comes from that of the fisherman side of the house. I know both management parties and have no issues in any personal way with either, but damn they need to work together a little better if they plan on coexisting in such close proximity.

Just my two cents....thoughts anyone? Anyone have any clarification or know something more?

stuecu
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:29 am
This is by no means a solution, but I don't see why we don't start the tournament season earlier in the year. There is always a good bite on the beach around mothers day, and I hate waiting until mid-late June to start fishing them (tournaments local to our area). I understand that some of these tournaments have a traditional date/time of year (i.e. "Fall Brawl"). With the Cape Shootout "South" firing up next year, adding an additional 3 (4) tournaments, an earlier start to the season may be necessary.  

wavescrash
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:54 pm
New tournaments should take advantage of the spring, IMO. The Shallotte Point tournaments were originally scheduled for September. Two Hurricanes in a 4 week period is what caused this logjam. It is kind of an unprecedented event.

I'm not seeing why the Rumble would be canceled? SW 10-15 is not going to get a tournament canceled.

CW66
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:30 pm
In hind sight the Fall Brawl forecast would've been fine.
The Rumble will fish if that forecast holds. Typical KMT tourney weather IMO. The Finals need to be pushed back 1 week in the years to come and some qualifiers need to move to spring. Glad I just have to fish and not make the rules and dates.
2015 Sportsman Masters 207 Bay
2009 Southport 26CC w/Twin Yami 250\'s - (Sold)

\"I play with Electricity!\"

Xplosive
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:33 pm
^^^^ Yeah I don't envy those that have to make the tough calls on the tourney's at all.  

SKIMMER
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:55 am
Just a thought. When we looked at starting the Atlantic Beach King Mackerel tournament back up this was one of the problems we saw. If you remember this was at one time the largest king mackerel tournament with over 700 boats in it's hay day. A lot of people thought the format we went to was not a good idea but this issue you are facing now is one of the main reasons this tournament eventually lost it's foot hold. Bad weather from hurricanes several years in a row with this many boats and the economy toke it's toll.The format the new ab tournament may not be to your liking but it works and is growing with more boats this year than last year and with larger sponsors and with more money coming in each year. It's going to get bigger and the first place prize is going to jump to $25,000.00 or $50,000.00 which it has a chance to do in just two to three more years if it keeps growing as fast as it has the first two years. I'm not saying you have to have an event that last as long as it does but adding Thursday as an optional fish day might help your problem or make it a four day tournament if you have the resources and man power to do that. We're lucky in that we have Chasin Tales sitting right on the water to weigh the fish everyday with their new hanging digital scales. Just a thought for you guys  

wavescrash
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:03 am
SKIMMER wrote:
Just a thought. When we looked at starting the Atlantic Beach King Mackerel tournament back up this was one of the problems we saw. If you remember this was at one time the largest king mackerel tournament with over 700 boats in it's hay day. A lot of people thought the format we went to was not a good idea but this issue you are facing now is one of the main reasons this tournament eventually lost it's foot hold. Bad weather from hurricanes several years in a row with this many boats and the economy toke it's toll.The format the new ab tournament may not be to your liking but it works and is growing with more boats this year than last year and with larger sponsors and with more money coming in each year. It's going to get bigger and the first place prize is going to jump to $25,000.00 or $50,000.00 which it has a chance to do in just two to three more years if it keeps growing as fast as it has the first two years. I'm not saying you have to have an event that last as long as it does but adding Thursday as an optional fish day might help your problem or make it a four day tournament if you have the resources and man power to do that. We're lucky in that we have Chasin Tales sitting right on the water to weigh the fish everyday with their new hanging digital scales. Just a thought for you guys

Dude, your tournament is not a King Mackerel Tournament. Its a fish rodeo similar to what they do in the Gulf. I hope it is successful for you, but it is a totally different animal than a tournament series.

I'm sure Brant was kicking himself Saturday for rescheduling the Fall Brawl, and if he had been able to wait one more day for the forecast to change he would not have. And if the water and fishing had been in better shape leading up to it he would not have rescheduled even with forecast calling for NW 15-20. But having to make a call in time for people to change their plans if necessary kinda hamstrings tournament directors. If they wait till Thursday or Friday they get criticized, if they cancel early they get criticized. Its a no win situation in an unsettled weather pattern like we had the last 4-5 weeks.

vanatta22
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:53 am
I am hoping to be down next week for the fall brawl! Was down last week when it got rescheduled. At this point I am not sure where bait is by any means. i ran to the horseshoe on Saturday and no love at all. I HOPE that the bait and fish are there in two weeks! I wanna catch some fish!

wavescrash
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:59 am
Bait was still down in SC this past weekend.  

pin
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:16 am
wavescrash wrote:
SKIMMER wrote:

Dude, your tournament is not a King Mackerel Tournament. Its a fish rodeo similar to what they do in the Gulf. I hope it is successful for you, but it is a totally different animal than a tournament series.

I'm sure Brant was kicking himself Saturday for rescheduling the Fall Brawl, and if he had been able to wait one more day for the forecast to change he would not have. And if the water and fishing had been in better shape leading up to it he would not have rescheduled even with forecast calling for NW 15-20. But having to make a call in time for people to change their plans if necessary kinda hamstrings tournament directors. If they wait till Thursday or Friday they get criticized, if they cancel early they get criticized. Its a no win situation in an unsettled weather pattern like we had the last 4-5 weeks.

When was the forecast for this past weekend to be 15-20? Every forecast was 10-15 or 10 kts for sat and sun, before the storm and after it came through. Sat we went 40+ miles and it was 2-3 ft, even saw a bay boat offshore. Sunday, OCP caught a 28 lb, so there are fish here as well. Purely Premature Cancellation lmao
33\' Sportfisher, Oak Island, NC

stuecu
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:19 am
wavescrash wrote:
SKIMMER wrote:

I think its hilarious that all the guys were arguing on social media. Brant challenged someone to try to catch a king on the beach after the storm, citing his qualifications to make the call and the fact that there wouldn't be any fish on the beach... Then, BAM! Pier bite fires off over the weekend from Kure all the way to Murrells Inlet lmao

Capt.Barbosa
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:53 am
popcorn wall wall

This is entertaining.....

wavescrash
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:53 pm
NOAA was calling for NE 10-15 gusting to 20 up until Wednesday. As Brant cited in his post.
Quote:
Coastal waters from Cape Fear NC to Little River Inlet SC out 20 nm-
1014 PM EDT Tue Oct 9 2018

.SAT...E winds 15 to 20 kt. Seas 3 ft.
.SAT NIGHT...NE winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt. Seas 3 ft.
.SUN...NE winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt. Seas 4 ft.
.SUN NIGHT...E winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 4 ft.

Winds and seas higher in and near tstms.

Quote:

MZ252-102215-
Coastal waters from Cape Fear NC to Little River Inlet SC out 20 nm-
1017 AM EDT Wed Oct 10 2018

.SAT...E winds 15 to 20 kt. Seas 3 ft.
.SAT NIGHT...NE winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt. Seas 3 ft.
.SUN...NE winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt. Seas 4 ft.
.SUN NIGHT...E winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 4 ft.

Winds and seas higher in and near tstms.

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wx/afos/p.php?pil=CWFILM&e=201810100214
http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wx/afos/p.php?pil=CWFILM&e=201810101417

I know lots of people don't like him, but I've never had a problem with him. And believe me, rescheduling is not something he would've preferred to do, because now his tournament will have a lot fewer participants. Do people really think he was looking for a reason to cancel or something?

CW66
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:22 pm
I feel some of the cancellation was due to many where going to experience more or new damage from the rainfall/flooding that Michael was going deliver. Many that lost power just regained it the last 2 days. These are tournament fishers and there families. Right or wrong It was a tough decision from any point of view.
2015 Sportsman Masters 207 Bay
2009 Southport 26CC w/Twin Yami 250\'s - (Sold)

\"I play with Electricity!\"

SKIMMER
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:18 am
Wavecrash I have know idea who you are but I don't like being called a Dude or your negative comments. I was just commenting on a subject. If you would like to have a face to face conversation to discuss this matter just let me know but in the mean time tone your comments toward me to a more civil tone.  

wavescrash
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:27 am
Would you prefer Buddy, Sport, Champ, Big Guy, Hoss, Tiger, Skippy, Scooter, Ace, Partner, Sparky or Slick?

I'm kidding.

I call everyone Dude, Dude. It isn't an insult. I hope your tourney keeps growing and is successful. But it isn't a feasible option for a tournament series or an event that is part of an overall series.

SKIMMER
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:48 am
Wavecrash if you read what I said was I know this format is not for everyone. The only point I was trying to make was if the weather looks iffy you might want to look at Thursday as a possible extra day. As I stated the reason we went with the longer format was because of the bad weather that is typical in October and the number of tournaments in this time frame. I for one who use to fish a lot of tournaments 20 to 15 years ago think the love of king mackerel fishing tournaments has changed to the love of money an ego. I remember if the total purse was $10,000.00 that was a big purse but things have changed. People have gone to $250,000.00 to $500,000.00 boats. So is it a sporting event or a money event you decide. I still king fish every day the weather permits but only rarely in a tournament any more. Just a thought to ponder  

Xplosive
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:14 am
Well anyway, thanks for the thoughts/comments. This thread was not to insult anyone or any tournament. The weather for this weekend Rumble in the Jungle is looking very sporty at a minimum and will separate the men from the boys. Of course the larger boats will have a huge advantage with the projected forecast. I seriously believe finding bait and drift fishing the beach in a few locations will be where the winning fish will be caught this weekend. We shall see...this is why it is fishing and not catching! Good luck to all and tight lines!  

MRGOODHANDS
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:20 pm
Bait has showed up in good numbers this week and even with a hard north wind the beach is easily fishable and more than likely their will be an awesome beach bite going on.

AB1620
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:25 pm
stuecu wrote:
wavescrash wrote:
SKIMMER wrote:

I think its hilarious that all the guys were arguing on social media. Brant challenged someone to try to catch a king on the beach after the storm, citing his qualifications to make the call and the fact that there wouldn't be any fish on the beach... Then, BAM! Pier bite fires off over the weekend from Kure all the way to Murrells Inlet lmao

LOL I'm going to have to go and find this on facebook. I wouldn't bet anyone in any kind of weather they can't catch a King on the beach in October. Heck we rode all over creation looking for Clean Water and a King in the King of the Cape Tourney when in reality we should have sat in 30 feet of water. The Kings don't care what color the water is, they care where the food is.

seahappy
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:46 am
It is easy to criticize rescheduled tournaments but everyone should remember tournaments are rescheduled for safety reasons ... People who have been fishing tournaments for a while should remember the Oak Island KMT some years ago when a crew member died when their boat capsized near the Cape Fear Inlet is sporty conditions and also one of the Ocean Isle KMT tournaments a few years ago when a teams boat capsized and the Captain died ... Everyone should be thankful for tournament Directors safety consideration  

vanatta22
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:08 pm
I know that it is till a little early but who ever mentioned bad weather for next weekend........ as of now it doesnt look to pretty to me and thats not good at all! Cross fingers!

Huntley
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:08 pm
It is really looking like another bad weather weekend. I know I'm always going to defer to safety.  

Jump to: