df70 engine holder???? - SaltwaterCentral.Com
Skirts for REEL Men

cecilp
Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:51 pm
I bought a pair of df70 engines. One is an evinrude and the other is a Suzuki. Both on same boat and used exclusively in salt water. Both have 569 hours. I have put one on my boat and it runs like a sewing machine. History on this engine shows it has thrown only 4 major codes and all of them were over heats. This engine is the Evinrude.
I put the Suzuki on the stand and began checking it out. WAS told it ran hot and was a PARTS engine only. Checked the oil and had to put 3 qts in it. It has thrown over 200 codes with a split between low oil pressure ( 135 ) and the rest were over temps in the 1500 to 3000 rpm range. There was no evidence of any oil in water. Engine fired up without incident and ran perfectly and quietly BUT there was a tremendous amount of water coming from the engine holder area. Was running in a barrel of water. Let it run over 45 minutes and engine did not run hot to the touch and still no water in oil. Is the likely fix the replacement of the engine holder and is it worth the cost. I paid $1000 for BOTH engines. HELP eew

tegin1
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:05 pm
What are you calling the engine holder area? If you are talking about the mounting bracket, it shouldn’t have any interface with the engine water jacket. Pictures of what you are seeing would help with diagnosis of your issue. Before you spend any money you need to determine the source of the water leakage. It my be that the leakage is coming from the interface between the engine block and water jacket housing and could be a bad gasket, a corroded housing or something else.  

cecilp
Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:26 am
the section that the power head attached to, area where oil pump is located and what attaches to oil pan mad  

tegin1
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:59 pm
I assume the person you bought it from was the one who told you the engine was only good for parts, did he explain why he thought it wasn’t worth repairing? You need to pinpoint the source of the leak and It is up to you to decide what you want to spend on it. If you are just trying to figure out whether it is worth fixing, and your mechanically inclined, you could disassemble the engine from the oil pan to see if the seating surface is damaged. It could be warped due to overheat, corrosion or a bad gasket, or it may be possible the leak is coming from somewhere else. If you have the time and inclination, take it apart and see what you find, it might be a cheap fix and if not it is still good for parts. I would just be careful not to throw money at it until you know what the cost to repair is. A couple of sources for used parts are boat recyclers in Wilmington or Strouds marine in Winterville, NC.  

cecilp
Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:09 pm
I've worded on cars,trucks,tractors, reciprocating aircraft engines, jet engines, sentering furnaces and high tonnage mechanical presses. might as well try an outboard LOL. Something crazy going on though. engine runs quiet as a mouse on an engine stand for nearly an hour without running hot with water going every where. put 4 qts oil in it and now cannot find any oil??!!!!! going to be a great learning experience LOL got any suggetions???  

tegin1
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:03 pm
So, you ran the engine for 45 minutes and saw no evidence of water in the oil, but now there is no oil in the engine and you have no idea where it went? If you want help your going to have to add more details to the missing oil mystery. It sounds like you have a hole in the oil pan that is leaking the oil out over time. I think the only thing you can do is remove the engine and look, take some pictures and post what you find.  

cecilp
Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:08 pm
lower part of engine ( to lower unit ) got to be full LOL ). plan on starting to dismantel engine from bottom up but it's gonna be a bit warmer than it is now. I'll take pictures as I go along. At least the dreaded hole that everyone has the ( eat away ) issue with is not a problem at least from the outside.  

MealOnReels
Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:09 pm
Did you check the oil twice?Sometimes when I check it shows no oil and check again and it's there.I don't know how it would be gone and not be leaking everywhere?  

Jump to: