<<<<<<SAFMC MEETING THREAD>>>> - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Goto page Previous  1, 2

BigE
Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:13 am
Sounds like you went from the chair to the fence now. Why didn't you take those words to the meeting & not me? My words of wisdom is that you don't see the whole picture.Ricky and I want you & bilzo to take us fishing on one of your boats and put us on our fair share of fish.

mannysmate
Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:55 am
This guy backs it up with action.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdpKJhhqlIQ

seasea
Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:10 am
man I swear, they have already made theses decicions back in feb? they had a meeting here and they talked like all the decisions have been made. you would think these idiots would take the economy summer gas prices and s*&t in consideration! its gonna hurt a lot of folks, I would hate for it to be my job and rely on it for paying my bills. most of it makes no sense, and they agree that there data is faulty, is there any lawsuits that could be introduced???

CC
Cape Fear NC

Squid Row
Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:15 am
As much as I disagre with their findings, they are following the law as written. The science is hardly scientific, but the law says they have one year to fix whatever the science says is broken.

So, the fight needs to be at the lawmaking level. The law needs to change to add specific requirements from the science side.

In other words, the law needs to change from "best available" science, to something more closely aligned to "best available, peer reviewed, valid scientific study, not just something you boneheads pulled out of your ass". It also needs to include an economic impact study before it can be implemented. I mean lets get real for a minute.. What is more important, people or fish? Especially when the status of the fish is in QUESTION. This is not like the status of the bluefin where all scientists agree the stock is down.

Grouper populations vary from Key West to Norfolk and the science does not take that into consideration. They also only consider the impact of fishing on fish populations, conveniently ignoring the impact of the massive spiny dogfish population and their predation on snapper/grouper complex species.

I heard that Sen Dole is reaching out to the Commerce Secretary in an attempt to stop this. Anyone else hear anything like that?

Flounder Pounder II - 16 Sandpiper Skiff, 40 HP Yamaha

Capt_Dave
Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:42 pm
Amendment 16 was approved by the Council in September and is now going through the review process by the National Marine Fisheries Service. It is anticipated the amendment will be approved later in 2009. The Council has requested an Interim Rule from NMFS to implement a January through April spawning season closure of gag, red grouper and black grouper beginning in January 2009. A decision on the Interim Rule request has not been made as of today. Should the Interim Rule request be approved, there will be a 30 day period between approval and implementation of the Interim Rule. Additional information is contained in the Fall 2008 issue of the South Atlantic Update Newsletter available from the homepage of the Council's web site at www.safmc.net.

I am at the Council meeting in Wilmington and we'll know more as the meeting week progresses.

Kim
Kim Iverson
Public Information Officer
South Atlantic Fishery Management Council

Let\'s go kill something!
Carolina Beach Fishing Charters

CaptWillie
Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:44 pm
Sounds like the problem is with the data.

Does anyone have a plan to collect better data? Have they talked about this at the meetings?

Bilzo
Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:58 pm
BigE-
Didn't quite understand the point you were trying to make there at the top of the page...

My stance is simply that you can't let economic ties dictate your actions with regards to natural resources. In this case it appears to be bad science, but I'm trying to justify the need to close it all down instead of just one pocket. That's unfortunate to the people it affects, and I recognize that.

BigE
Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:56 pm
Was not looking to start a pissing contest but the negative remarks I see on here just get old. When Dave started this website there seemed to be a lot more unity afterall this is a Fishing site. We need to stick together on here. Everyone is allowed there opinion & I listen to all. There are many familys that grew up fishing for a living (sea farmers) and can't just change jobs. I have worked on headboats,comm. boats,shrimp boats,& now I rec. fish & some comm. fish still now with friends and it's all the same to me when it comes to the enviromentalists taking over this country.It's not rec. VS comm.I have pulled up to my spots only to have a comm. boat sitting there. Made me mad but they were just doing there job. I could have been on there.We are in this all. I believe in conservation but this stuff just gets out of hand. My point about you taking us fishing was really to see if you even had a boat and know how much is involved in owning a boat. I have spent a lot of time and money setting up my boat & finding my own fishing spots to be told I can only keep a couple of fish when there is no problem with the fish I seek.I should have sold my boat instead of my motorcycle I guess because it will not be worth it anymore.I can deal with the closure but the limit will be bad.Soon it will be one of every fish. wink

Leviathan
Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:18 pm
Now we are questioned if we even have a boat? You have got to be kidding me!

I have never fished. In fact!! I have never seen the Ocean.

This is rediculous.

BigE
Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:31 pm
I see were we stand now wink

seasea
Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:24 am
screw the safmc, just keep as many fish as you want and hope the man dont catch you.........not really but this stuff makes you want to. they know their data is bad, they know its gonna hurt the comm guys, they know its gonna hurt alot of folks, they know its all bullshit and dont care.........what can we unite and do?

CC
Cape Fear NC

RoughandReady
Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:45 am
There is a big problem with safmc and their data collecting system.
I have seen it first hand & it makes my eyes roll back in my head.
They have certain ways that historically they have collected data,
that is not working in todays constantly changing fishing stocks.
It seems that there is a gag problem in florida, that is going to have
adverse effects on other NC fishing stocks. Florida has plenty of different
bottom fish then NC does't have, Our fishing days are very limited getting to the grouper grounds, compared to florida. I'm sure if they looked at the
data state by state and handled the problem at the state level things
would work alot better for "this" fish stock & fishermen.Lumping everyone
into florida's vast fishing problem sucks. This is just going to switch the guys in NC that are grouper fishing into Chasing Bluefins(biggest fleet), setting more blacksea bass traps (which is NC's biggest problem)
or king mack fishing (oh boy thats going to help).
Its like the funneling effect, lets close fisheries down until others collapse.
Its not fisheries management, Its fisheries suicide.

Stormtrooper
Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:21 pm
They accomplished one thing......Divide and Conquer.They pitted the recs and comms against each other and by the time we all seen it it was to late.
The sad thing is they have even more plans coming down the pipes.

Jump to: