Offshore Anglers, why and how do you use SaltwaterCentral.com? - SaltwaterCentral.Com

BillMe
Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:51 pm
Do you use the tools like reefcast and BW supermap? Do you use the forums? If you use the forums, do you just lurk and read or are you a participant? How does saltwatercentral.com help your offshore fishing? Is it your sole source of information or just one of many.

I like all the great tools on this site, but have not been as active on this forum as some others. Mostly I think thats lack of familiarity, but I am trying to spend more time her checking out the posts in addition to using the tools.

Interested in other perspectives.

spanishking
Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:57 am
I read a lot of reports and how tos to help make my game plan and then use supermap to work out the rest. I will be trying out a fish here map this year to help shorten my learning curve since there are people far better than I working on those maps.  

BillMe
Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:48 pm
Unfortunately the fish here maps are not available for the panhandle but perhaps I will get to try those in the future.

Capt_Dave
Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:18 pm
BillMe wrote:
Unfortunately the fish here maps are not available for the panhandle but perhaps I will get to try those in the future.

They are coming when I find "The Guy"....The Right Guy!

Dave

Let\'s go kill something!
Carolina Beach Fishing Charters

BillMe
Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:39 pm
Cool, good deal!

Srobbins
Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:34 pm
I've only been fishing salt water for 1 1/2 years and this site has been extremely helpful to me. I've found that the reefcast isn't always accurate but usually pretty close so I know if I can go offshore. The bw supermap has given me some general locations and I'm getting better at figuring out the temperature information. The fish here maps put the first mahi on my deck so I'll be using them again in the future. The forums have been a great wealth of information for me. I scan the new posts regularly for any topics that interest me and think will help me in my efforts. Lots of great information from the experienced folks that are good enough to share information.  

steve-a
Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:06 am
Iím over 60 years old, which is depressing, and have been fishing for as long as I was old enough to hold a pole. This site has been without a doubt, one of the best tools I have come across for fishing in a long time, and Capt Dave has done an incredible job putting it together, and keeping it updated.

There are so many uses, itís really hard to outline. The weather info, Bluewater Supermap, user reports, safety info, equipment sales, equipment and boat help areas, fishing reports, etc., all are important, useful, and just plain fun to use if you are a fishermen.

But most of the weather info and some of the other info in general is, just a guide to steer you in the right direction. None of it is cast in stone, as Dave will attest too, I'm sure. There are lots of times you need to take what you read, use common sense, and then make your own decisions. The way it is today, in a lot of cases, changes tomorrow.

But all in all, itís a top notch site put together by people that live the life, and are not just a ďprogrammersĒ sitting behind a desk gathering info.

Thanks Dave !!

Last edited by steve-a on Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total

BillMe
Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:41 am
Capt. Dave, tell us what got you started putting the forum together?

Capt_Rich
Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:37 am
When I was deciding on a better sea surface service I found Frying pan tower and the state offshore sites affiliated with it. I was subscribed to another service but saw right away this site offered much more. Just in water data it was/is head and shoulders above what is available. The key is the species you chase. Find out it's preferred habitat and match that criteria to the data which best represents that on supermap and your on your way to being the highliner in our area!
If you cannot find data on your target do the same for it's preferred food source for the same result. I will give you 2 easy examples. 53 degrees is the water temp bigeye tuna spend 90% of there life in. With the supermap look at the temps at 50, 100,and 200meters. Look for that big change that holds temps close to that 53. Hint it will also be at/near a salinity change at/near the upwelling/downwelling in water deeper than 150fthms.
53 also happens to be where the DSL (deep scattering layer) is thickest.
Now one of the cool things bigeye surface to the top layer after about 50 minutes for warmth and O2 rejuvenation. If your in the correct place your chances of hooking up are far greater above that DSL than pretty much everywhere else if BE are your target.
Hope this piques your interests to better use of some of the data here on SWC.
I'm not in the US right now so I will be slow to respond to questions. However feel free to post up and I will answer when I can till I get home.

Jump to: