Best grouper bait ? - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Berry
Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:58 pm
I realize live bait is best, followed by fresh cut bait. My question is - are frozen spanish sardines just as good as frozen cigar minnows? They are much less expensive.

Squid seems to get torn off by trash too easily.

Has anyone ever used live blue crabs for grouper bait?

boxlots
Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:23 pm
I havnt had much luck with sardines, small octopus has worked great if you can get them. or anything live with a hook in it

Boxlots
31' Chris Craft

CrabMan
Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:46 pm
I like Boston Mackerel heads
23 Key West (2) 140 Suzuki 4 Strokes

Crystal Coast Interiors
www.ccinteriors.us

blueoceaneyez
Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:08 pm
I like: white snapper, squirrel fish, tomtates, fresh bonito strips
Online: www.SecondWindFishing.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/SecondWindFishing
Instagram: www.instagram.com/capt.amanda.king

capt_ed
Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:16 pm
Last time I used Boston Mackerel I bought the box of whole fish and cut then up. Pretty cheap and works good.

Also, I like the squid wing that you can buy at most fish houses. Blackburn's in Carolina Beach has it. Get it a case at a time, cut it up into one gallon packages and freeze it until you are ready. I take a gallon bag for two people and then cut up the first grunt I catch.

Of course nothing beats a live Pinfish.

joeman4495
Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:00 pm
I have heard that bluecrabs are very good grouper bait. See if you can get Capt. Joe to tell you the best baits. He seems to be the best with grouper.  

seasea
Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:01 pm
it dont matter, as of july 31 (i think) you can only leagally keep 1 gag and 2 reds or just 3 reds......just venting, safmc has lost sense of reality. flawed data to mandate these new rules. somebody needs to file a class action lawsuit.

CC
Cape Fear NC

Capt_John
Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:18 pm
Used nothing but 25lb. boxes of spanish sardines fishing with Joe and for myself for years. You figure it out. lol

\"ALCOHOL,TOBACCO,AND FIREARMS should be a convienience store, not a Gov. agency.\"

Desert1
Wed May 11, 2011 10:38 am
Pinfish works good,just go out to claening station with some kind of cut up bait I use cooked rice throw a handful in water wait a little toss cast net you get all pinfish you want,sometimes i take pair of scissors and cut those sharp pin fins off so the grouper will hold on to the bait.BSB like pinfish too.  

buzz4prez
Wed May 11, 2011 10:56 am
butterflied beeliner....  

GetdaGaff
Wed May 11, 2011 6:50 pm
Capt. John/Joe know the ropes. Best to start a drop with Spanish Sardines - very oily, soft, and when smaller reef fish bite a good amount of chum is distributed on bottom which will turn the grouper on. When a good grouper bite is started the bigger bait the better for grouper hogs - use multiple sardines on a hook, butterflyed B-liners, Pinky steaks, etc. Don't rock up or the show is over ... been there and done that many many times ...  

jayb13
Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:15 pm
A small snapper head is what i i have caught my biggest reds and the black that broke my trevela with  

PatrickB
Sun May 22, 2016 7:29 am
Whole Boston mackerel is the only frozen bait we will use.
Hook them in the head and give the body a twist tearing it open.

Reznor
Sun May 22, 2016 12:25 pm
Ive tried the Blue Crabs a few times with no luck. Its better to use an inshore livie ( pinfish) or spot, croaker etc. That they havent seen on the reef. Live pogies work too. As for frozen, I prefer boston mackerel filets, heads, and skeletons with heads.  

Titan
Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:24 pm
I have had the best luck on pinfish and cigar minnows. For some reason a lot of people say live Pinfish. I remember one day I was out and I had a live pinfish on one line and a dead one on the other. The dead one was ate first by a Grouper. Waited for awhile and nothing on the live pinfish. I decided to go ahead and kill that one and try it again. Within a few min, I had another grouper on. probably had nothing to do with it but if you are using a live pin fish and you don't catch anything, try killing it and then drop it back down. Dead pinfish have worked well for me in Nov as well. By the time Nov gets here in NC, there are probably not any pinfish left around the docks. Before they are all gone, I will catch a bunch of them, vacuum seal and put them in the deep freeze for later. They are really easy to catch in a cast net, especially around a dock at night. Cigar minnows work well too but they seen to get eaten too fast by all those endangered Sea Bass. Go out deep enough and you can catch some huge Sea Bass on cigar minnows. Take a whole squid and put it over a cigar minnow. This works also. I like to brine my cigars, they will tear apart too easy if you don't.  

Jump to: