Looking into a Contender 27T - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Herc55
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:04 pm
Looking at the used contender market. I like the 27T and everything i have read on them. Any one on here own one, if so what setups are you running, fuel mileage, handling, likes dislikes, anything you would do different ie next size up or down.

stevehes
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:10 pm
I have the 25 Open (28' LOA) and love it. Built very well and is designed to fish not go cruising which is perfect for us.
They are light in the bow and if you load up the stern with big engines, full live well and 4 fat guys you will need use your trim tabs to keep the nose down.
We fish the river to the stream in it and it's never let us down.

Contender 25 200 Verados
Contender 23 - SOLD

werewolf0711
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:12 pm
The older contenders are bow light. A lot of guys once they move to four strokes put a few hundred pounds of sand up front to help keep the bow down. Fuel tanks seem to be a big problem on the older boats so that's about the biggest concern from what I've seen. The 30T might be a better boat if you want something a little longer.

Team Kraken
JB Custom Rods
Check US out on Facebook!
McAttacK Fishing Team

www.mcattackfishing.com

Herc55
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:19 am
I have heard about the bow being light. I was tinkering with the thought of a single mercury 450 on the back. Which is around 700lbs rigged. Or the new merc 250 v8s.

FullSpecdrum
Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:04 pm
I have a 2004 27 contender, 30ft boat. Repowered with 200 suzuki's and love it. I use the large front fish box for ice/fish. I use a small amount of tab when running in normal conditions and increase as it gets rougher. Usually burn about 75 to 80 gallons on a normal stream trip. Boat will run 50 mph loaded with the 200's, but conditions in the open ocean rarely allow for that. Inspect the tanks as thoroughly as possible, and figure new tanks in your "3 to 5 year" budget. If they dont have to be replaced by then, you are ahead of where you expected to be.

Herc55
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:25 pm
FullSpecdrum wrote:
I have a 2004 27 contender, 30ft boat. Repowered with 200 suzuki's and love it. I use the large front fish box for ice/fish. I use a small amount of tab when running in normal conditions and increase as it gets rougher. Usually burn about 75 to 80 gallons on a normal stream trip. Boat will run 50 mph loaded with the 200's, but conditions in the open ocean rarely allow for that. Inspect the tanks as thoroughly as possible, and figure new tanks in your "3 to 5 year" budget. If they dont have to be replaced by then, you are ahead of where you expected to be.
Thanks for the info! What's your normal running speed in the 2-4s we normally see out here. How does it handle that?

FullSpecdrum
Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:00 pm
2-4 at say 8 seconds or so... probably run about 28 to 32 knots. Give or take based on exact conditions. If the are tight, you'll be in the 15 to 22 knot range, but that's pretty sloppy seas.

Jump to: