outboard tilt position - SaltwaterCentral.Com

partspicker
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:00 pm
boat is on a trailer and have always left motors down. is it better to tilt all the way up to balance weight on tansom during months of no use?
twin 200 hpdi's.

fishing-misfit
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:37 pm
My previous boat was a 2006 with Suzuki 115 and I left it down all of the time on the trailer, no negative effects that I could tell after 12 years. I do the same with my current boat with Yamaha 300. I have never given any thought to balancing weight on the transom, I have always had concerns about water in the cooling system and freezing during the winter. I leave motor vertical to allow water to drain. I use my boat during the winter, I don't winterize. "Personally", I would have more concerns with tilting engines up and leaving weight on the hydraulics than I would down and stress on the transom.

12ga
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:12 pm
My biggest fear (HAD IT HAPPEN BEFOR) is foot gear assembly ... Did not know that i had developed a seal leak that allowed water to enter foot and could not drain even with foot in down position ; it froze and split foot housing... I now drain and change foot oil before hard freezing weather !!!! hmph  

Jump to: