2020 NC flounder season? - SaltwaterCentral.Com

reeldude
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:08 pm
Looks like flounder will close around aug. 23 2019 and reopen aug. 16 thru sept. 31 for 2020. Does this sound accurate?  

Lunchmoney
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:25 pm
For recs it does. We go every June for a week mostly to flounder fish and gig. The last 3 years have been awesome so I'm not sure what all the hubub is about. Oh well, just have to go in August next year.  

divnnc
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:51 pm
I know every time one of these proclamations is handed down the "we get/ they get" causes a problem. I would like to point out, true to history, the rec's get screwed over yet again.

If you are going to shut it down then shut it down for everyone.

To open the season again just for commercial fisherman is a direct slap in the face to any recreational fisherman who has paid for the 2019 license.

Matt

Squid Row
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:19 pm
After talking with the NOAA data guy on tilefish and learning how utterly absurb their calculations are, I have zero belief in the credibility of any fishery management group.

NC shutting down rec fishing for flounder because they claim recs can't tell the difference between southern and summer is assinine.

Flounder Pounder II - 16 Sandpiper Skiff, 40 HP Yamaha

pin
Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:22 pm
This closure is across the board commercial and rec as of now. We are all getting screwed. If they get everyone to fight among themselves, then there is nobody left to fight them. Look at the "let them spawn" bill going to the senate. Everyone better call their rep to speak against it if you still want to be able to keep fish in NC
33\' Sportfisher, Oak Island, NC

cantgitright
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:31 pm
Yuup lunch money there is Plenty of flounder to be caught here have had our limts before noon about every trip since june 1st  

ward35
Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:30 pm
As I understand it the closure is not across-the-board .commercials will still be able to catch summer flounder in the ocean, but the recs will not  

divnnc
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:10 pm
While it hasn't been passed yet, it will be shut down for everyone for a short period. Then it is opened back up to commercial only during the prime season. That is what my problem is.

Matt

reeldude
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:04 pm
What's the comm. season for next year? Guessing it will be longer than 6 weeks.  

reeldude
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:10 pm
[you getting them inside and out?

quote="cantgitright"]Yuup lunch money there is Plenty of flounder to be caught here have had our limts before noon about every trip since june 1st[/quote]

reeldude
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:09 pm
[you getting them inside and out?

quote="cantgitright"]Yuup lunch money there is Plenty of flounder to be caught here have had our limts before noon about every trip since june 1st[/quote]

Matador
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:54 am
If you believe the numbers this is interesting.

http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/southern-flounder

The tagging and genetic information is helpful. So letís just assume flounder are actually in trouble. With the information at hand it seems that the southeast would need to agree to a 16 inch minimum and possibly close the peak spawning season either partially or completely for the next 2-3 years and then reassess. The graphs are interesting as well.

To me the ultimate sign of management failure is complete closure. I donít think this case is much different than others. The numbers do appear flat.

You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him THINK.

KillerandGriller
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:02 am
I don't see 2018 in there. I say this as it appears most of the harvest is done by nets and with all of the debris that was moving in the water, I would like to see what they look like for harvest then with nets not being used as much.

They are chewing right now for it to be a shortage off the beach before the trawlers get here that is.

Stop the trawlers from coming down and dragging.

Maybe close some netting for a period of time and see what happens.

Let the barrage of ill will and "my kids don't have shoes or food to eat" start ..... I'll make some popcorn.

TACKLE.... BELOW.... WHOLESALE....

http://picasaweb.google.com/overandunderadventures

zigzag
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:30 am
[quote="KillerandGriller".

Let the barrage of ill will and "my kids don't have shoes or food to eat" start ..... I'll make some popcorn.[/quote]

and if that is all their kid's have nowadays to keep food on their table, cloth's on their back's and something set aside for health care and emergencies somebody is not being very responsible.

KillerandGriller
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:13 am
Hey Brother!!!!

Call me.

I should have probably said " my kids don't have data on their new Iphone 15 or whatever it is up to now ..... LOL.

Took 24 tanks over for hydro, hope to be pumping for the weekend.

Either way, offshore or inshore, I'm killin' fish this weekend .... :)

TACKLE.... BELOW.... WHOLESALE....

http://picasaweb.google.com/overandunderadventures

flatbottom
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:16 pm
Squid Row wrote:

NC shutting down rec fishing for flounder because they claim recs can't tell the difference between southern and summer is assinine.

Yes it is because nets cannot tell the difference either.
www.facebook.com/redbuoyinvestments

roach
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:01 pm
I spoke with a commercial friend of mine yesterday. He stated they would file a class action suit that would keep their season open. Sounds about right.

cloflinnc
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:29 pm
Asking someone who knows better than me, but it would seem that having a slot for flounder would make more sense to keep the breeding females in production. Have a trophy 1 fish over a science driven or fish of a lifetime measurement and also a number that can be kept by another science driven slot. As it has been described to me, all flounder over 16" are fertile females that are egg producers so I don't understand why those are the only ones allowed to be harvested by rule. Seems counterproductive if true.

DAVID146
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:55 pm
roach wrote:
I spoke with a commercial friend of mine yesterday. He stated they would file a class action suit that would keep their season open. Sounds about right.

I donít think that world work because of how they are currently classified as critical. It would be hard to close one side and not the other.

TMAN
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:57 am
I was in a group a few years back that heard from a person on the committee that the $$$$ fish for commercial guys was 17". He said that this was the size that brought the most money from fish markets. He also stated that the was no good way to determine the stock since they lived on the bottom. This is all BS for closing. I wonder if anyone has considered what happens if people quit coming to the coast! They will start seeing shops close and others hurt financially  

DAVID146
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:16 pm
I was talking to a buddy the other day that loves to gig. He says man I donít know why they are shutting it down I seen more flounder this year than ever. My response was last year we had a bad storm on the entire coast that had the water messed up, boats messed up, houses messed up and not very many shrimp boats running, plus it made everything move early. Thatís why I think this year we will have a good trout and spot run.
If heís seeing more fish this year imagine what it will be like if we give them a break. I also have caught more babies this year in cast nets so maybe they will bounce back fast. Iím just not in favor of shutting one side down and not the other.

gshivar
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:09 pm
David. Good positive thinking.  

downeaster
Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:45 pm
I'll tell you why southern flounder are still classified as overfished. The DMF changed the definition back in 2010. When the first southern flounder management plan was developed the SPR (spawning potential ration) was set with a threshold of 20% with a target of 25% in order to have that fishery recover. When 2010 rolled around the stock status indicated we had only reached 19% spr which was a little short of our goal. More rules were developed with added restriction but for some reason the DMF decided to increase the goal, target went from 25 up to 35% which of course pretty much made it impossible to reach and we did not reach the new goals. Now the DMF has everyone convinced that southern flounder are on the verge of total collapse since its still overfished and are no doing everything the can to reduce catches by another 62% this year and possibly going to a 70% plus reduction next year for both commercial and recreational alike. The past plans are showing results so why the huge cut backs? I think I know why and it absolutely has nothing to do with the lack of flounder, look at what they have done with red drum over the past 30 years We could keep 1 per day back then and can only keep 1 today  

RonJon1011
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:05 pm
https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/local/2015/06/30/net-ban-turns-july-success/29532739/

I spoke with an inside charterman who says he goes out at night and sees thousands of yards of nets illegally gathering almost all of the available fish in the Topsail area. I read a blog where someone asked where they should fish in the Topsail area. One response was "go somewhere else".Gill nets are the equivalent of shooting a 50 caliber at a herd of antelope or bison or etc. Anyone seen a school of roe mullet in the last 20 years?????

Timorjc
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:04 pm
The current proposal has Recs open 5 1/2 weeks next year and Coms open 5 1/2 months. The Commercial guys will also be able to keep smaller fish. 12 1/2 and 15 1/2 inches. That doesn't seem equitable to me. I can see both sides of the argument, however, this seems unjust.  

downeaster
Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:58 am
Timorjc wrote:
The current proposal has Recs open 5 1/2 weeks next year and Coms open 5 1/2 months. The Commercial guys will also be able to keep smaller fish. 12 1/2 and 15 1/2 inches. That doesn't seem equitable to me. I can see both sides of the argument, however, this seems unjust.

Interesting, I have not been able to fish for flounder with my gill nets in my area near Beaufort in the past 2 years. Think the area from Beaufort down to emerald island is also closed to gill netting for flounder. Whenever a sea turtle is caught in a net the DMF shuts down the commercial gill net fishery for flounder. At this time the min length for flounder is 15 inches and has been that way for the past couple of years. You might want to look up the facts yourself instead of relying on what you heard.

DAVID146
Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:46 pm
Timorjc wrote:

If this is what they are proposing I donít think it will last long. To many rec like to fish to make it this unfair if itís open to one it should be open to others you will never get a 60% reduction just of the rec side. Hell I am retired Iíll just call them every day to bug them s*&t out of them on everything else I see going on.

Curmudgeon
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:22 am
I wonder if anyone has considered what happens if people quit coming to the coast!

IDK, more fish start living longer and prospering? I doubt the vacation industry will be too stressed over a flounder closure. Sun lovers will still want to get sunburned, fishermen will still fish, and everyone will still be able to buy flounder dinners made fresh from frozen local flounder at the usual haunts. Just like always ...

downeaster
Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:46 pm
DAVID146 wrote:
Timorjc wrote:

If this is what they are proposing I donít think it will last long. To many rec like to fish to make it this unfair if itís open to one it should be open to others you will never get a 60% reduction just of the rec side. Hell I am retired Iíll just call them every day to bug them s*&t out of them on everything else I see going on.

The 60 % reduction figure was a number they pulled out of their hiney . Flounder numbers are looking pretty good this year and perhaps it's due to last year's hurricane along with much stiffer regulations on commercials and recs. Anyways the indicators this year do not warrant another 60% reduction in flounder landings as they are threatening to do within a few weeks. Am not suggesting the flounder are fully recovered at all but real hard to believe that they are almost extinct as the NCDMF would have us believe.

Jump to: