22ft-25ft Offshore CC Boats - SaltwaterCentral.Com

kobza223
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:42 am
Hello all,

I am doing a bit of research on offshore boats. I see some mixed opinions when it comes to what length boat to take at certain distances offshore. I also see an awful lot of people with 22-24ft boats and people that say they wouldn't go offshore in anything less than 25ft.

What is everyone's opinion for offshore boat lengths for going 20-30 miles out of myrtle beach-little river area? I don't see myself ever being able to afford a 30ft CC or bigger.

Thanks for any info.

Lucky Enuff
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:54 am
Itís all about the weather and picking your days. I see Carolina skiffs 20+ miles off in Long Bay a lot.  

BarryTurano
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:31 am
I run a 24 Albemarle CC i have a single jackshaft inboard. No problem in running 30 to 40 miles offshore to bottom fish. Have had her out to the stream with no issues.Just watch the weather, look for large weather windows and PICK YOUR DAYS.

USN Submarine Veteran
Knight of Neptune
USS Corporal SS346
Death From Below

There are only 2 types of ships.
Submarines and Targets

Coastal Carolina Submarine Veterans

Cape Fear Anglers

wampler24
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:56 am
I run 40 to 60 miles regularly in my Key West 239fs out of oak island.

Learn the weather, do the maintenance, know how to use the radio and have more than required safety gear.

1st tip is most important by the way. Learn how to read the weather and always be ready to cancel a trip or turn around. Don't matter how big your CC is if your caught in a bad storm.

KatfishKayak
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:12 pm
23 - 25 are just fine, with a boat designed for offshore use (not a "bay boat".. although I've seen some of those guys out at 25 miles or more, I wouldn't do it). With modern boat design and engine technology, smaller boats have a lot more range and seaworthiness than the "old days".

Beyond that, not much new to add to what's been said. Learn to watch the weather and don't be an idiot... big boats swamp and flip just like little ones.

Definitely plan for safety, including backup radio (cell phone doesn't work out there). I do think running twin engines is good insurance, but I say that while running a single 300 on my 23' Parker. Still, I feel completely comfortable out at 40 miles, or even 70 on a really nice day.

Another note to consider... fuel capacity and economy. I think the trend is bigger tanks in smaller boats these days, but it's important to know how far you can go, and for how long. I kind of use the old SCUBA diver's rule... 1/3 out and 1/3 back. That leaves some extra for the unexpected, like a slow slog back through nasty seas.

Oh, and this should go without saying, but you'd be surprised... learn to navigate with charts and compass. You don't need to be Magellan, but it could come in real handy getting back home on a bad day. Just saying...
Canyon Wren - Parker 2320 SC - 300hp Yamaha

kobza223
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:26 pm
Thanks for all the good responses everybody! That makes me feel better about eventually getting a boat in that range. I'm up north right now and have plans to head south in a few years, somewhere in the Carolina's.

It definitely seems like a no brainer to go overboard with safety equipment being that far out.

I have also come to the same conclusion about twin outboards. That way if one has an issue, you still have a backup to limp in with.

AboutTime2Fish
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:17 pm
Hereís the problem with twins (which I have), in general they are running off the same fuel tank. Fuel contamination is probably the number one cause of outboards not running, wether it be water, ethanol dissolving crud or fuel lines, vst filters, you name it, it is the weak point in the system. If I designed a boat it would have two separate fuel tanks and the ability to draw from either with either engine.

kobza223
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:04 am
That definitely makes sense about the fuel. Is that something you just have to be diligent with getting good fuel or is it a crapshoot? Is there a proven additive? I would think that everyone carries a couple extra sets of fuel filters.  

Jump to: