Pursuit 3000. - SaltwaterCentral.Com

tramac
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:53 pm
I'm thinking about buying a 97 Pursuit 3000 with inboard diesels. I'm just curious about the handling and ride quality on a not-so-perfect day. Like the short window days when the fishing is good and you stay too long and have to ride home slow and sloppy  

Rustyone
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:54 am
Brand and size of the diesels?

tramac
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:24 am
Volvo Penta KAMD 42.'s 230 HP each. I know, sound kinda small.  

Rustyone
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:17 am
Those are a little small but geared and propped correctly they’re manageable. Biggest concern would be if you can get maximum RPM at WOT on a fully loaded boat (fuel, water, ice, gear and crew). If not, the engines have been “lugging” and nothing wears a diesel faster than lugging. Also, you want some response in reserve so when you’re running in a hard following sea you can avoid surfing the wave which will get you into trouble faster than just about anything else you can do in that boat.

Up until 2001 the bow on the 3000 was kinda blunt and didn’t do well in a head sea much above 3.0 ft. Like every boat made, pick your days and they’re all great.

Last comment; the rubber flaps that cover the scupper drains in the cockpit corners need to be very flexible and the lazarett deck hatch gaskets need to seal tightly. If not, and your bottom fishing on a rough day, a LOT of water can come in. However, a Pursuit 3000 will still float when it’s 1/2 full of water eew

LookinToHookem
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:37 am
Rustyone wrote:
Those are a little small but geared and propped correctly they’re manageable. Biggest concern would be if you can get maximum RPM at WOT on a fully loaded boat (fuel, water, ice, gear and crew). If not, the engines have been “lugging” and nothing wears a diesel faster than lugging. Also, you want some response in reserve so when you’re running in a hard following sea you can avoid surfing the wave which will get you into trouble faster than just about anything else you can do in that boat.

Up until 2001 the bow on the 3000 was kinda blunt and didn’t do well in a head sea much above 3.0 ft. Like every boat made, pick your days and they’re all great.

Last comment; the rubber flaps that cover the scupper drains in the cockpit corners need to be very flexible and the lazarett deck hatch gaskets need to seal tightly. If not, and your bottom fishing on a rough day, a LOT of water can come in. However, a Pursuit 3000 will still float when it’s 1/2 full of water eew

lmao lmao lmao The man speaks the truth.....they will float 1/2 full of water and make it back into MHC! wtg wtg wtg

www.militaryappreciationday.org

tramac
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:31 am
rusty one, you hit the nail on the head. Ive never been on a boat in this size range that liked a head sea much over 3. I did notice the flappers, there spot on and Ill double check the hatches when I back down that way. As far as engines and props go, I'm pretty good with all things mechanical and going by what the current owner and my own research are telling me, I think he has done a good job with props. He has the service records for the last 14 years which my engine guru is studying. Im gonna try to sink the damn thing during the sea trial and if we don't die, ( if I go, You go, kinda thing) Ill get engine and hull survey are done and go from there.  

Jump to: