Sportsman Boats - SaltwaterCentral.Com

stevehes
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:32 am
Neighbor is looking at one, new 23'. I've heard of them, seen them sitting at dealers but know nothing about them.
Anyone have one or is knowledgeable about the brand that could comment or PM me about the ride, finish quality, warranty backup, etc.?

Cheers!

Contender 25 200 Verados
Contender 23 - SOLD

carpepiscem
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:29 pm
I bought a Sportsman 232 Open model from Carolina Outboard in Hampstead about 3 years ago, and I've been very pleased with the boat. The fit and finish are a bit better than I've seen on comparable boats in the 23-foot range. I upgraded a little on the Simrad and got the larger, 12" display, and I opted for a custom made T-top with canvass top rather than the hard-topped one that came standard. (It saved a little money, and I didn't think I needed the "misting" system to keep me cool on hot days. Also a little lighter.) Power is a 200 HP Yamaha. The boat sits up on top of a chop pretty well and is surprisingly dry for its size. Good trim tabs. Fuel economy is very good. I get around 3.5 MPG at a cruising speed of 25-27 MPH with two guys on board and a full tank of fuel. Top speed on the ICW has been about 40 mph. I run out of Oak Island, using either Lockwoods Folly or Cape Fear inlet, depending on where I'm going. A lot of my fishing has been nearshore (Spanish in the spring and summer, kings in the spring and fall), but I've also had the boat 40 miles offshore on numerous occasions. Lots of tower trips and offshore bottom fishing trips in good weather, and some in weather that was not good at all. It's not as dry as a 30 footer, but it's a very good ride in most conditions, considering its size, and I've put a fair number of fish in it so far. I've been pleased. Also, Chris Jones and the other folks at Carolina Outboard have been great do deal with.  

stevehes
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:11 pm
Thatís awesome, thanks so much for the feedback.

Contender 25 200 Verados
Contender 23 - SOLD

fishing-misfit
Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:52 am
I have a 2019 Sportsman 247 bay with yamaha 300. I looked at 24'-25' bay boat options for approx a year for quality, fit/finish and quality components along with cost and kept being drawn back to the Sportsman. Not going to bash another manufacture but I was finding $100k bay boats sitting on lots for a couple months with "stainless steel" components corroding and/or rusting, loose hatches and other issues. The Sportsman is a very solid ride, been caught with a weather change a few times when it got pretty sloppy and the Sportsman handled it with no problem and we stayed dry. I have not checked the fuel burn, I just run it and go fishing. This boat with 2 guys, fishing gear and full 70 gallons of fuel will run 60+ mph. Got the boat in Nov 2018, have not found a loose hinge or fastener nor any corrosion on any components. A couple months ago after having the boat a little over a year I noticed the seadek type helm pad adhesive was loose on a couple corners when I was washing the boat. I emailed Sportsman and asked who made the pad and where I could purchase one, sent a photo of the color and told them the adhesive was releasing from the deck. Within a hour they emailed back asking me to send a photo of the hull ID and my address, then followed that up with a new helm pad had already been shipped. I wasn't asking for a helm pad since the boat was over a year old, just wanted to know where to get a replacement. New one was delivered in 2 days at no cost. I have no regrets purchasing the Sportsman. The one part I do hate is I purchased the boat from Chris at Carolina Outboard and I like them servicing my boat, but they no longer sale Sportsman boats, they switched to Sea Pro. If I purchase a new boat in a few years, it will more than likely be another Sportsman that I will have to get from a different dealer but will more than likely take it to Chris at Carolina Outboard for servicing.

stevehes
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:57 am
Thanks Chris, I passed along you comments.

Contender 25 200 Verados
Contender 23 - SOLD

Jump to: