Buoys in Topsail Inlet - SaltwaterCentral.Com

KatfishKayak
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:45 am
I haven't been keeping up with my Local Notice to Mariners lately (since I haven't been able to get on the water... why bother, right?), but when I ran out of Topsail yesterday morning, there were buoys every damned where... and I know at least a couple of them were up on the bar. Fortunately, there's still good water and the channel is basically where it was last time I ran it... but still... threw me for a loop. I wish I'd taken pictures.
I know there's the renourishment program going on (and the barge and equipment are anchored in the channel at one point), but that doesn't really explain the chaos.
Anyone know what's going on there?
Canyon Wren - Parker 2320 SC - 300hp Yamaha

Buzzard22022
Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:30 pm
KatfishKayak wrote:
I haven't been keeping up with my Local Notice to Mariners lately (since I haven't been able to get on the water... why bother, right?), but when I ran out of Topsail yesterday morning, there were buoys every damned where... and I know at least a couple of them were up on the bar. Fortunately, there's still good water and the channel is basically where it was last time I ran it... but still... threw me for a loop. I wish I'd taken pictures.
I know there's the renourishment program going on (and the barge and equipment are anchored in the channel at one point), but that doesn't really explain the chaos.
Anyone know what's going on there?

LNM acknowledges New Topsail Inlet Buoys 3, 5, 7, and 9 are off station. Dredge ops until March 10th with demobilization until March 25th. I actually thought Weeks did a great job of staging gear and leaving Banks Channel open. Been running it almost weekly since December. Always plenty of water to waterfront side and diamond day shapes properly displayed. We'll see how USCG marks the channel post USACE survey...

KatfishKayak
Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:53 pm
Yeah...I should keep up with that LNM. I knew there were a couple buoys that have been off-station almost since they finished the dredging last year, but I was not prepared for what I saw in the inlet on Wednesday. Haven't been out of Topsail since first of December. No problem with the inlet itself (it's still pretty much right where I left it and plenty deep), but thought it was funny. I didn't pick out the numbers, but there's a can and a nun mid-channel that have just enough space for me to fit between them. I wish I'd taken a picture.
By the way, I think there was probably plenty of water up closer to the barges and equipment, but there were three or four tenders running in and out and I tried to stay clear. I was still marking about 4'.
Canyon Wren - Parker 2320 SC - 300hp Yamaha

Jump to: