Planer fishing - SaltwaterCentral.Com

paynefish
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:30 am
I have never tried planer fishing offshore. I have used #1 and #2 planers for Spanish Mackerel nearshore. What size planer should I use offshore and what depth should I try to obtain with it? I have seen the planer bridal system, which looks to be the easiest way to use this method, but what are the thoughts on using this versus handlining the fish from the planer? Do you guys use the loops in the bridal or do you trim off the locking mechanism on the swivel and go through the hole in the swivel connection on the bridal? I am seeing that the leader needs to be 100' back from the planer from what I read, then you connect the leader with the lure to this. My largest reel is a Penn Squall 30 on a short (5'6")Shimano medium heavy rod. Will this do what I need it to do without having to spend a fortune? Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated!

The Happy Place

waterbound
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:22 am
5 fisherman will give you 5 different answers to this so here's mine, The wind on bridal works best for us, disconnecting the Planer while fighting a fish is a 2 person deal and generally not that big of a deal as long as you keep the line tight. As far as the size/depth that all depends. We run 8's and 12's at 6-8 mph on Penn 80- 2 speeds and bent butt rods. I'm not sure if you go much larger on the planer that the 30's will have enough drag to hold them, trial and error will tell. Tight lines!  

Bilzo
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:48 am
as waterhound said, everybody will tell you something different. We tried the wind on bridal and lost our first 3 fish when trying to take the damn planer off. So we scrapped that and now we just handline them in from the planer if one hits it. Try everything out and see what works best for you.  

paynefish
Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:57 pm
water, was thinking of running a #4-6 with what I have. Do you think that will handle it?

The Happy Place

KatfishKayak
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:17 pm
I'm going to a bridle system on my next trip, using the one where you clip the ends off the double snap swivel. I've built and tested the bridle, but have yet to catch a fish on it... so jury is still out. I've had plenty of success handlining from the planer, though. It was good enough for grandpa...

With those Squall 30s, you'll need to crank that drag down to run much bigger than a #4. I use a #4 with drone spoons sometimes for kings with a couple of Squall 60s, and they handle it OK with a little bit of creep at 6+ mph.
Canyon Wren - Parker 2320 SC - 300hp Yamaha

waterbound
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:22 pm
You are going to have to try it and see, if the drag on the 30 is not enough to hold, it will pull line from the reel and cause you to reset more often or worse get caught up in your spread and make a tangled mess.  

Wherewithal
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:42 pm
When you say offshore do you mean 30 miles or Gulf Stream? Because if you’re gearing up to fish the stream….you need to pull #8 and #12 planers which means you need 50 wide minimum and bent butt rod. It’s a great investment — planer rod catches more meat than anything else. And we also use ours for deep dropping and high speed trolling—it was a game change for us. Have the tackle shop spool you with braid and they can put on your bridle too so you know it’s done right and then have a model bridle to refine for the future.  

paynefish
Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:23 am
I appreciate the info folks! I guess I need to go see the guys at the tackle shop and make sure I have it right before I go and get frustrated with it.

The Happy Place

BoMaestro
Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:43 am
We do this for Kings. We just tie the planer to a cleat and never pull it up until we're done. Never tried it for Spanish -- https://www.carolinasportsman.com/columns/high-tides-and-tall-tails/rubber-band-release-helps-anglers-troll-lighter-tackle-for-spanish-mackerel/  

Bilzo
Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:54 am
I have seen that setup used and it worked very well.  

paynefish
Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:47 am
Good stuff, and I don't have to spend a small fortune on a 50 wide. Thanks guys!!

The Happy Place

climbik
Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:10 am
Here's a good video demonstrating the 3 planer methods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0mAGSvkSqA&t=1231s

Jump to: